Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk comes out faster than baby can swallow

Default Milk comes out faster than baby can swallow

Is this oversupply? I've had issues with it, but I can't tell if I'm still having this problem. I'm doing so much better because I'm no longer engorged, and I don't really leak all that much. My OALD is much more under control. However, my DS still coughs and gags while nursing. It just seems like there's too much milk coming out when he sucks, but when he pulls off, I'm not squirting or spraying (like I used to). Is this oversupply? Or is this a symptom of my DS not mastering the suck-swallow skill? (We had to use a finger feeder at the beginning because he didn't suck properly.)

If so, any tips? I've already done blockfeeding, sage, and sudafed. How will I know when my milk supply is okay since I'm not confident in my baby's sucking skill?

Smile Re: Milk comes out faster than baby can swallow

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hippychickaquarius View Post
    Is this oversupply? I've had issues with it, but I can't tell if I'm still having this problem. I'm doing so much better because I'm no longer engorged, and I don't really leak all that much. My OALD is much more under control. However, my DS still coughs and gags while nursing. It just seems like there's too much milk coming out when he sucks, but when he pulls off, I'm not squirting or spraying (like I used to). Is this oversupply? Or is this a symptom of my DS not mastering the suck-swallow skill? (We had to use a finger feeder at the beginning because he didn't suck properly.)

If so, any tips? I've already done blockfeeding, sage, and sudafed. How will I know when my milk supply is okay since I'm not confident in my baby's sucking skill?

I'm no expert or anything.. but we did have major oversupply and oald issues before..How old is your babe and how long ago did you have the oversupply issue?? it sounds like that's what it COULD be.. have you tried burping him after a couple of minutes~also what REALLY helped us out with that was laying Annabella down and feeding her that way with us both laying facing eachother.. The milk coming out horizontally instead of downwards towards her helped her to control how much she was taking in..Just a small bit of advice!!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: Milk comes out faster than baby can swallow

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post
    How old is your babe and how long ago did you have the oversupply issue??
    Oh.. that would have been useful information! My son is almost 4 months old, and I've had an oversupplly of milk ever since it came in on day 5! I was soo worried about my milk coming in, and then poof, I woke up with rock hard, engorged breasts.

We've had a lot of latch issues, so the only position that I can really use is cross cradle.

Default Re: Milk comes out faster than baby can swallow

What position do you usually nurse in? My cousin had this problem and discovered that the only way she could nurse her son was while laying down. When they were somewhere where she couldn't nurse in that position, she would nurse on the lower supply side