Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can weight loss affect milk supply?

Question Can weight loss affect milk supply?

I was 147 before I got pg with DS, and now, when he's just over 5mo old, I'm 138 (I'm 5'8"). I have a 2yo and the baby, work full-time, pump during lunch so don't have time to eat more than a PB&J, and I do work out 5x a week or so.

Let me say my milk supply seems to be fine, and DS is gaining loads of weight. But I seem to keep losing it. I'm not underweight but am getting skinnier. I know I'm not getting the extra 500 calories I've read BFing moms should get--I just don't seem to be able to eat that much right now.

Is my milk supply going to suffer? Any thoughts on any of this? TIA.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Can weight loss affect milk supply?

It is possible for rapid weight loss to affect your milk supply, but two pounds a month (which is what you seem to be averaging) shouldn't be a problem.

From kellymom.com:
    Most moms can safely lose up to 1.5 pounds per week or 6 pounds per month after the second month and not affect milk supply or baby's well being. One study has suggested that short-term weight loss of 2.2 pounds (1 kg) per week is not a problem (in this study, moms dieted for 11 days).
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

OK, so I was 190 when DS was born--start from there?
    Last edited by @llli*JosieWales; January 12th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
    ---Josie

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

BF for 22 mo.

I haven't noticed a dip in my supply due to weight loss (I've had a few occasions where it was 5-6 pounds in one week). I only notice the dip when my cycle fluctuates. Here's another thread on it some who are losing weight and have a hard time keeping it on.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=63172
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*JosieWales View Post
    OK, so I was 109 when DS was born--start from there?
    I'm sorry, it must be too early for me - I'm not following! I thought you said you are 138 now, and 147 before you were pg? But you weighed 109 at the time of your son's birth?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

You'd see other symptoms that go along with being malnourished - it wouldn't just be your milk that would be effected if losing weight was too much for your body.
    I had this same problem, I'm 5' 8" as well and I got down to 115 ish - I was actually a little underweight but kept healthy. I was 175 at 41 weeks pregnant and about 3 months later I was 120! Now a lot of that was baby and fluids and those extra pints of blood, but still!
    If your seeing things like massive hair loss, no period (after you've gotten it back), pale parlor, weakness, etc then that's when to be worried but again more for your health than your milk supply.
    I really had to eat more than the extra 500 calories a day, I probably ate an extra 750-1000. Eat good fats! Little things like switching to whole milk, adding snacks though out the day, and just eating well helped.
    I started gaining weight around the time I got my period back, about 14 months and now I'm back to my regular weight 135.

So you gained approx 43 lbs with the baby, but in the 5 months since having him you have lost 52 lbs?

I haven't done much research on the subject, but I know for myself when I start working out or trying to cut back on food I have a big change in my milk...so for now I am just going with the flow, not doing too much, and when I stop lactating I will worry about it...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    I'm sorry, it must be too early for me - I'm not following! I thought you said you are 138 now, and 147 before you were pg? But you weighed 109 at the time of your son's birth?

That was a typo--I edited it to say 190! Sorry!!!
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    So you gained approx 43 lbs with the baby, but in the 5 months since having him you have lost 52 lbs?
    Yes, that's right.
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*JosieWales View Post
    That was a typo--I edited it to say 190! Sorry!!!
    Oh, now I get it! Sorry, I was totally misreading the first part, too.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09