Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping and Milk Supply

Default Sleeping and Milk Supply

For the first time, DD for the past three days has been sleeping 4-6 hours a night. Should i be waking her to feed? For example this morning she was kind of awake but still sleeping after 5 hours so I picked her up and fed her then she went back to sleep...but i think she would have kept sleeping longer had I not disturbed her. I love the new sleep i've been getting but am worried about it hurting my milk supply, so should I wake her up?

On a sidenote on Wednesday I have an appt at Dr Newman's clinic so hopefully that'll be helpful with finding out why after 4 weeks breastfeeding is still painful!
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Default Re: Sleeping and Milk Supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kalynasmom View Post
    For the first time, DD for the past three days has been sleeping 4-6 hours a night. Should i be waking her to feed? For example this morning she was kind of awake but still sleeping after 5 hours so I picked her up and fed her then she went back to sleep...but i think she would have kept sleeping longer had I not disturbed her. I love the new sleep i've been getting but am worried about it hurting my milk supply, so should I wake her up?

On a sidenote on Wednesday I have an appt at Dr Newman's clinic so hopefully that'll be helpful with finding out why after 4 weeks breastfeeding is still painful!
    Congrats on your new baby daughter! Great question! Generally, if a newborn is gaining well, which also means she has plenty of wet diapers (about 6-8 disposables) and plenty of poopie diapers (aboout 3-5 disposables and are about the size of a US quarter) then a mother can generally let baby wake her up for feedings. Also, this would mean that baby was a full-term, healthy baby with no other problems. Now if that actually happens is another thing. Also, the LAM Method might not work if too much time between nursings elapse.

How great that you have an appointment with Jack Newman! I'm sure he can help you with your pain.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Sleeping and Milk Supply

My dd came home from the hospital sleeping a 4-6 hour stretch at night. I woke her up the first 2 nights and after that I enjoyed the sleep. Unless your dd has gaining issues or you have low supply issues enjoy the sleep. Just make sure you feed on demand during the day. Babies that sleep long stretches at night tend to eat alot during the day and often cluster feed before bed.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!