Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frenzied nursing at night

Default Frenzied nursing at night

Hello ladies, this is my first time posting as I usually just lurk and get advice from everyone and it's been very helpful so far. You all are wondeful! I am having an issue with my son. He's 14 months old and I work full time during the day Monday thru Friday so he only nurses in the morning, evening and night during the week and then whenever he wants on the weekends. The problem I'm having is that he nurses every hour at night and it's driving me NUTS! He used to do that when he was an infant and I figured that was nornal since he wasnt eating any solids or anything but at this point, he eats very well during the day and he eats what I cook for dinner and it's a pretty good amount of food at that! He's pretty tiny for his age and the dr said he's right on target for his height as far as weight is concerned and doesnt feel he isnt getting enough to eat. I dont think he's hungry at night, he just cant get himself back to sleep without nursing. He's addicted to boobies! I really enjoy BF and I want to let him self wean but my DH told me this morning that maybe we should seriously consider weaning him now so that we can all get a good night sleep. I really dont want to wean him just yet. My goal for him is 2 since I nursed my DD to this point and stopped due to her biting me too much. But DS is wonderful at BF, aside from waking during the night. I've tried to rock him or sing to him and even give him a pacifier (he takes this during the day while I'm at work for nap time) but he gets so upset and just ends up waking fully which makes me have to nurse him just to get a few hours of rest for myself for work. I'm frustrated at this point and really at a loss of what to do. Please if any of you have experienced this or have any suggestions, I am completely open to any and everything! Thanks so much for reading and sorry for such a long post!

Default Re: Frenzied nursing at night

I posted a thread last week called Zombie because that's what I felt like as my 14 month old started to nurse non-stop during the night. I believe the reason for my LO is because he is getting his 1 year molars, could this be a reason for your LO? Had he slept okay before and now is waking more or has he always woken up this much?

You could try this method for gentle night weaning

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html

or this

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks so much for responding! I'm not sure if he's getting any molars yet but he has been drooling a lot more than usual and keeps his pointer finger in his mouth so that is a strong possibility. I'll check his this afternoon when I visit him during lunch. Thanks for the links also, I'll check those out right now. His nursing habits have pretty much been that way for a while, but not quite every hour! My DH noticed it this morning and said I looked exhausted which I was. He usually nurses 3 to 4 times a night but when we initially lay him down around 9, he sleeps solidly until about 1, but not last night. He was up an hour after going down. Should I give him Tylenol or anything? I dont like to give medication at all to be honest but if it would help him feel better, than of course I'm open to the idea.

I would if you can see or feel molars. I have just had to revert to what we did when he was an infant; sleep when he sleeps, so I've tried to go to bed myself pretty early. I did also give some Motrin when I put him down and that seemed to help. GL
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I checked him when I went home just now and I didnt see anything but he is getting the teeth that are really sharp, not sure what they are called So that may be it. he only has 7 teeth so far so I'm sure he's getting some more.

It's hard to talk to anyone as far as friends and famly because they all think I should wean him or should have done it by now. Like a really good friend of mine just emailed me saying that he's old enough and I should go ahead and wean him but it's up to me but also not to complain aboutlack of sleep if I decide to continue which I felt was a bit harsh. I only have 1 friend who BF as long as I am and she weaned her DD at 17 months mainly because she needed a break but misses it a lot. She's pregnant now and cant wait to nurse all over again and will do it longer. I just dont like it when people make me feel like I'm crazy or weird because I want to BF this long and let him sefl wean. Most think I'm only doing it because Iahd my tubes tied and decided not to have anymore children so I'm trying to hold on to him being a baby. Mayb I am but I dont think I am. I thruoughly enjoy it just as I did with my DD. I guess it comes with the territory unfortunately.

But thanks so much for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

Don't let other people's ignorance get you down. You are doing a great thing for your son. Feel free to complain here!

I didn't use medications often, but if I knew there was a tooth coming in I'd give my daughter a dose of Tylenol before bed and it helped her sleep quite a bit longer before waking. It doesn't work for every baby, though so if it doesn't work for you there's no need to continue.

Do you cosleep at all? If not, is it an option to try it while he is teething so you can still get some sleep and help him through the pain of teething?

Even if you wean, it is no guarantee that it will stop the night wakings, especially if it's caused by teething. In fact, it might just be harder to get him back to sleep because you don't have the 'magic boobie.'

If you do decide to night wean, though, I recommend the Jay Gordon method (one of the links above). That's how I did it with my daughter when she was about 18 months and it worked really well for us. Good luck whatever you decide!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks so much! It's very frustrating for me to have people be so negative about something they no nothing about, but I usually just ignore them and remmeber not to mention it to the negative people. That was a huge reason I joined this group because everyone understands and goes through similar things, so I feel like I'm around understanding women

As for co-sleeping, we have done that since he was born. I meant to mention that. We both love having him sleep with us, even though our sleeping areas are getting limited since he stretches out all over he place! But we enjoy it and dont plan on changing that part any time soon. We just want a bit more rest. Even for him since he tends to take long naps during the day while home with DH. He works at night so I think maybe them sleeping during the day may have something to do with his night sleeping patterns as well. I'll have to have DH regulate his napping during the day.

I did read the Jay Gordon method from the link above and it is definitely something I will try. I think I may wait until he's around 18 months though since I do believe he's teething. I'll see how the next week goes and go from there.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice, I really appreciate it!