Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long is it ok for milk not to come in?

Default How long is it ok for milk not to come in?

Hi ladies! Well I am about 6wks away from delivery, maybe sooner! LOL And I am still having worries. I was just wondering, how long is too long for your milk to come in? With my DD I pumped from the begining (she was in NICU)and it took a good 6-7 days! Is this too long? How can just that little bit of colostrum be enough to sustain them for 6 days? I am hoping that my milk will come in sooner this time since I do not plan on having to pump!

Default Re: How long is it ok for milk not to come in?

My milk came in after 5 days, and my dd just nursed constantly. It was really hard to believe that I wasn't starving her, especially with everyone from the nurses to my family telling me to give her formula. We held out and I just let her nurse all the time until the milk came. Then she was satisfied and gave me a break. I have heard that milk comes in faster with subsequent children, so good luck.

the best thing to do if your worried is to just let the baby nurse as much as the baby is willing. The baby might be sleepy but you have to get them to nurse the more they nurse the sooner your milk is going to "come in"
    ARe you going to room in with the baby? That helps get lots of skin to skin contact! hold your baby and just spend time with them. the less stress you feal the beter off you'll be.
    Do you have the name and number of your local leader? Might be a good idea to contact her before the baby comes. That way you can have some support linned up if you need it.
    as for help sooner then later with breastfeeding!

Thanks! Yup we are going to Room In for sure. And I have been attending LLL meetings for months now. I have a support group formed! LOL And all of you ladies too!

Sarah--nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse!!! This was my 2nd c-section and the night Miss Ada Grace was born, she nursed from 10:30 Friday night until 4:30 Saturday morning. My milk was in by 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, which for a c-section is unheard of.....so just get her to the breast ASAP and keep her there!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

Was your first dd premie? If so, I believe (LLLL correct me if I'm wrong!) that it often takes longer for milk to come in if you have a premie. If this was the case, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you go full term with this one.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Sarah,

I can tell that you are anxious about establishing an abundant milk supply. The experience with your first baby must have been quite scary.

Like the pp mentioned, nursing early and often is key in establishing an abundant supply. Have you read the sticky "useful articles about increasing your milk" in the Increasing Your Milk Forum? You may find some helpful information there. Some studies have shown that mothers tend to produce milk earlier when they have previously nursed a baby. I hope that helps ease your mind.

It sounds as if you are really prepared with such a wonderful support system. We'll be here if you need us!

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by fezzik812
    Was your first dd premie? If so, I believe (LLLL correct me if I'm wrong!) that it often takes longer for milk to come in if you have a premie. If this was the case, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you go full term with this one.
    I was induced at 38wks, so not a premie. Maya had some breathing problems, so was in the NICU for that. I just want BFing to work so badly this time. I will be sure to nurse nurse nurse.

Another ?. Let's say my milk doesn't come in for 6 days, how will baby be able to produce enough wet/dirty diapers on colustrum alone? I mean when I pumped I would get a pea size amount of colostrum.

The wet/dirty diapers are more for after the milk comes in

I see that with your first you were pumping. I'm assuming this time around you plan to breastfeed from the breast right from the start. Keep in mind that nursing a baby at the breast rather than pumping will likely draw your milk in faster too!

HTH and good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!