Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Situation Critical, Drying up TOO FAST!! HELP!!

Exclamation Situation Critical, Drying up TOO FAST!! HELP!!

Ladies ladies ladies! Help!

So, I was a mega milk producer, well over 30 oz per day (seriously, I got 10 ounces plus at each pumping). Well, I thought I would slow it down a bit now that I've gone back to work and decided instead of pumping 4x per day, i would pump 2x per day. Well, I have really screwed myself!

I pumped 2x per day for one week and my milk has almost dried up! I am barely eeking out 3 ounces per breast in the morning and 2 ounces per breast at night! It's a disaster!! I've started back to pumping 4x per day and now I'm getting only about an ounce per 15/20 minutes of pumping. The situation is critical!

WHAT DO I DO!? CAN I GET BACK MY MEGA PRODUCTION?? Is it too late to bring it back?

Thanks for all your help and guidance!
    Laura

HELP HELP HELP!!!

Default Re: Situation Critical, Drying up TOO FAST!! HELP!!

are you drinking enough? When we are at work it is easy to forget to drink and not taking enough fluids in has a drastic and immediate effect on your supply. Try oatmeal and fenugreek and lots of water and give them new pumping schedule 4 days to a week and see what happens.

(also it is possible you are getting AF? - the few days/almost a week before I start mine my supply goes down pretty dramatically)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    (also it is possible you are getting AF? - the few days/almost a week before I start mine my supply goes down pretty dramatically)
    This happened to me as well. I pumped a large amount and about a week before AF returned my flow went to about 2 oz. per session. I was getting almost 10 like you. (this is where the freezer stash is needed) Once AF came, my supply came back. This is a likely scenario. Just pump, pump and pump to get it back.

You can certainly get your supply back!

Nurse your baby and double-pump with a hospital-grade pump, as often as you can. If you can drain both breasts every 2 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night, this will do it. You can also get a prescription for Reglan or Domperidone. Oatmeal and fenugreek can help too.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Also, see this link on maximizing milk production for each pumping session:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thanks girls, I'm hard at it!! Will keep you posted!

Happy pumping!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.