Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: could it be....

Default could it be....

Thrush? I have had severe pain in my nipples the last week- I thought it was due to me pumping extra b/c my suppply was low. But I still have pain and have gone back to normal pumping schedule. I jumped out of my chair last night when i went to pump- my nipples didn't even hurt this bad when I first started BF! It hurts when I nurse too. I took an anitbiotic about 2 weeks ago,didn't even think about the possibility of thrush when I started them. but LO is showing no symptoms of thrush. I am going to OB tue. so I'll ask then, but is it possible to have thrush and the baby not have symtoms? thx.

Default Re: could it be....

oh yeah.
    You can have it or both of you can have it with no signs in baby.

more info

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stuartjr View Post
    Thrush? I have had severe pain in my nipples the last week- I thought it was due to me pumping extra b/c my suppply was low. But I still have pain and have gone back to normal pumping schedule. I jumped out of my chair last night when i went to pump- my nipples didn't even hurt this bad when I first started BF! It hurts when I nurse too. I took an anitbiotic about 2 weeks ago,didn't even think about the possibility of thrush when I started them. but LO is showing no symptoms of thrush. I am going to OB tue. so I'll ask then, but is it possible to have thrush and the baby not have symtoms? thx.
    Sorry to hear you may be battling thrush... Since the pain you're describing lasts all the time and you also mentioned taking an antibiotic 2 weeks ago, there's a good chance you may have thrush. Yes, symptoms can be "invisible" for mom or baby when one of you all are battling thrush, but both should be treated. Luckily, there are some things you may want to consider to help until you can see your doctor.

You mentioned pumping...
    Sometimes if the pain is too much to actually nurse, pumping may be necessary if a mom can't nurse, esp to protect her supply, but not necessary 'because' of it. If you do pump, clean the parts well, for sure... To help from the yeast "coming back" or spreading.

As you may already know, yeast can be be agrressive & may take a couple of treatments (& a couple of weeks) to really get things back into balance, especially if there's a chance the yeast's getting passed back & forth in the family. Avoiding anti-bacterial soaps might also help.

Sometimes using crushed ice on mom's nipples before breastfeeding might help numb the area enough to make nursing bearable. You might also try helping start your let-down with some massage and then beginning the feeding on the least sore side or... even using a breast shield (not a nipple shield) to help your shirt from touching sensitive breasts, nipples, etc.

Any missed feedings should definitely be followed up by expressing/pumping (on the lowest setting may be less painful) to keep your milk supply up.

Rinsing with a vinegar/water solution after each nursing and allowing to air dry is very helpful... as is washing all bras, etc. with vinegar. Changing bra pads frequently helps. Acidophilus tablets for both mom and baby helps get your bodies back in balance, too.

Any chance that it might be something else other than thrush? What has your ob said, or will this next appointment be the 1st time you'll discuss?

speedy healing & take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Make sure you start cleaning everything throughly. I sterelized all pump parts once a day. You will also want to sterilize anything that comes in contact with your lo's mouth such as bottle nipples, pacifiers and toys. Adding a cup of vinegar to your wash can help get rid of any yeast that is on your clothes. Try to wear your bras and shirts once before washing them. Change your nursing pads frequently too. Medela makes microsteam bags that you can use to sterilize things if you aren't already using something similar. You can get 5 bags for around 5 dollars and you can use each bag 20 times.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2735035

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks for all of your advice.
    I go to OB tomorrow. Is there a test or something to determine thatit is thrush?

just got back from OB...its not thrush! Yippee! i guees it is jusy pump-soreness.