Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A random observation

Default Re: A random observation

So far for us ... gradual weaning has been a "dance" with ongoing give and take between me and DS. I gently push when the time seems right, but when DS "pushes back" I let it drop cause my sense is that at those times if I push weaning he'll just want to nurse more.

When he's sick or teething all bets are off. Otherwise I've gradually and gently been able to get to nursing 3 or 4 times a day. For us night weaning helped (at least it helped my sanity).

Iknow DS is getting alot of nutrition fro breastmilk, but also I think that alot is comfort and routine. DS expects to nurse right when we get home from preschool. BUT on days where we have something else planned, like going right over to someone else's house for dinner, DS does NOT ask to nurse.

I'm not sure how it started, but we've started to plant the idea that when DS turns 3 it will be time to say "bye bye" to "mommymilk". Perhaps we'll get him excited about having a weaning party.

I've got 6 months to work on this ... and anything could happen

Oh - and the complicating factor. Before DS weans I need to check with our dietitan and see if he's doing ok getting enough calories and fat from foods.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    If you haven't already, you might check out the good, quick read called How Weaning Happens. I was surprised by some of the stories considered CLW because it did involved some encouragement from mom at times. I walked away from the book with a better understanding of nursing/weaning as a mother/child dance.

Great little book.
    I originally thought I'd nurse DD2 until she was one () but now here we are, 3 yrs 4 mos and still devoted to her bedtime nursing.I'm actually in no hurry to be done (and she definitely isn't).
    The other night she asked me "When do you think I should be done nursing?"
    I said, "When do you think?" and she replied "I don't know, maybe when I'm 5?" I responded, "Maybe you can be done before you starts preschool next fall (right around her 4th b-day)" and she tentatively agreed. Of course I'm not going to hold her to that 100% but I'm hoping she's truly ready by then. I think we may do a weaning party also.

ETA: Oh and as to the comparison to human weaning and the natural world, have you seen any of Kathryn Detwyler's work (sp?)? She published a paper called something like "A Natural Age of Weaning" looking at what a natural age of weaning is for humans based on other animals.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I just can't do 4 years if he continues at the rate he's going. Breakfast and bedtime only...yeah, okay, maybe I can handle that. But I can't keep up 8-12 times/day for 2 more years.

Oh, and Laith ALWAYS pushes back. He's never distracted from the "biz" (our word for milk - literally "boob" in DH's dialect.) He gets ornery if he doesn't get his way!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    The other night she asked me "When do you think I should be done nursing?"
    I said, "When do you think?" and she replied "I don't know, maybe when I'm 5?"
    Very cute. Sounds so grown up!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    ETA: Oh and as to the comparison to human weaning and the natural world, have you seen any of Kathryn Detwyler's work (sp?)? She published a paper called something like "A Natural Age of Weaning" looking at what a natural age of weaning is for humans based on other animals.
    I'll have to check this out. Since I've fixated on the topic, I've been thinking about it quite a bit. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky