Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby bum question

Default Baby bum question

My lil guy is about 3.5 months, healthy, nursing well and at a healthy weight. He is not sleeping through the night (but it took my first 2 a while to do that) but puts in two 4-hour stretches between 9 and 6-ish so I can't complain. He catnaps during the day and cluster feeds at night and puts out a good amount (anywhere from 7 to 10) diapers a day.

But he is very prolific in the bm department - so much so that we average at least one EDF (Extreme Diaper Failure) a day - you know, the type you just say, 'forget it, let's have a bath - and we'll start with your clothes on ' type of EDF. I just thought it was his 'thing' but maybe it's something more serious? I know bf babies are good at bms, and without getting TMI, the colour is right (I have to look up the consistency), but is it normal for a baby to produce this many 'impressive' bms?

In addition, I'm making the switch to cloth diapers and as callous as it sounds, I'm also afraid he'll stain everything before the week's out .

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated!
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz

Default Re: Baby bum question

We had A LOT of diaper failures at that age. I think it's theoretically possible that it could be caused by oversupply, or a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (but they would be frothy and green), but you would definitely be seeing other symptoms with all of those and would most likely have figured it out by 3 months!

Switching to cloth will be a huge help. Don't worry about staining them - first of all, the only part of my cloth diapers that has been stained is the inserts, and those get some bleach in the wash once a month and come out like new. Or you can lay them out in the sun. AND it is much better to have stained diapers than stained clothes!

I was a big fan of OxiClean Baby at that age.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I was worried too about my little guy. He did one a day like that. For about 2 weeks. I was a little worried. They weren't green or anything, but sometimes like water and that's when they'd leak through. I didn't know where to start undressing him. No matter where I started it was bound to get on his head and body. Not cool. Now that I am block feeding his poos are thicker. Not sure if the connection is in my head. I have OS and OALD.

Thank you chellebelle and kailyns mom for the replies - I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    We had A LOT of diaper failures at that age. I think it's theoretically possible that it could be caused by oversupply, or a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (but they would be frothy and green), but you would definitely be seeing other symptoms with all of those and would most likely have figured it out by 3 months!l
    And now I feel quite foolish...

After reading what you wrote about OALD I did some reading and reflecting and I now think I have OS and OALD.

- clicking noise? check
    - choking? check
    - 'popping off' check
    - letdown on both sides while nursing? check
    - 'sprayage' after popping off? check

No green and/or frothy poos but the 'seediness' has definitely dissipated...

All of this going on for weeks! My poor little guy!

I'm now off to the OS forum to see what I can do. Thanks for 'flickin' my noggin' !
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz

Yeh, I didn't realize that I had OS/OALD until I quit EPing. I knew I had too much milk cuz I was makin 40-60 oz in a day and LO only taking about 30 in a bottle. Soooo.....I was so excited for DS to latch on and then all this happens. It's always something. I'ma self induced OSer I think. Due to all the advice to pump until no more drops right through 12 wks. Could u have imagined if i would have kept going like they advised me?!! DH got to witness my spray tonight. I think he was in shock at my 'trick.'

My LO only had the huge explosive BM's when I had an OS/OALD. They were not the true green color either. They were pretty liquidy and she was having these massive, ruin the outfit, up to the neck, kind of poops that were kind of a greenish brown. She would cry and/or fuss alot when she was getting ready to have a BM. When I stopped pumping and did block feeding the poo switched back to the normal yellow and she never had poops like that again(until I gave her prunes and oatmeal at 8 mo). She actually only pooped every 2-4 days once my supply was in check until she started solids. Also she was 3 1/2 mo when I finally figured out it was an oversupply. I thought it was food sensitivity/undersupply

I ditto PP about OS/OALD, but I can tell you that even with this problem my DD very rarely explodes out of her cloth diaper (actually I don't think it has ever happened). If you are worried about staining PUL diapers are VERY stain resistant. Also, if baby is EBF than all you have to do to remove poop stains from anything is lay it in the sun(preferably dry it in the sun, but sunning it after it is dry works to but it takes longer). It is amazing how well it works!
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and