Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OAS---undersuppy?! pleasepleaseplease help!!!

Unhappy OAS---undersuppy?! pleasepleaseplease help!!!

hello! I have been offering my DS (who will be 8wks old in a few days) only one side per feeding the last couple weeks. My let down has still been fast at times, but he is overall much happier, less gassy, and has been sleeping a little longer at night (yay!)

well Ive definitely felt a lot less full the last couple days. my bras which were once tight have gotten very loose...so I started worrying maybe i was beg to have an undersupply issue...

today started like any other day, fast let down here and there...then at 3pm went to feed DS and he seemed to never be satisfied!! Finally offered the other breast after an hour, after another half hour he seemed contented, atleast enough to fall asleep, but as soon as i put him down he awoke. So that was from 3-4:30. We started again at 5:30 and went to 7. same thing, he fell asleep but only for a moment and is now wide awake, probably gonna want more soon!!!

so what happened? where did my milk go?! and will i not be getting any sleep from now on because he wont be satisfied!?

i know that if i start offering both breasts my supply will respond with an increase, but wont i then be putting myself back in the OAS boat? I already had very small 'blocks,' offering one breast each feeding....

what do i do!!!????!?!?!?
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: OAS---undersuppy?! pleasepleaseplease help!!!

growth spurt!
    I bet if you take the baby to bed and rest tomorrow will be a beter day!

Unhappy Re: OAS---undersuppy?! pleasepleaseplease help!!!

i suppose the time of day doesn't matter with growth spurts... it's just during all his other gs it was an all day thing...this time it ambushed me midday!! i'm so scared and anxious now about the night ahead! just finished another 1 1/2 -2 hour marathon session and he is finally asleep in his crib!! and boy do i wish we coslept, but our bed scares me. i already feel like most nights i am pushing dh to make more room for me, much less me and baby!!!!!!

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*namaste0812 View Post
    and boy do i wish we coslept, but our bed scares me. i already feel like most nights i am pushing dh to make more room for me, much less me and baby!!!!!!

You could look into a bedrail for your bed. I didn't do this until my third baby and I wish I had done it sooner. I'm sure I could have had better nights sleep and not be so smooshed if I had done this with my other two. I got a bedrail at Target.

well it' s not so much that i am worried about DS falling out of bed asi am worried of him getting smothered. This happened around thanksgiving to my sister's good friend and her 1month old. it was horrible.

Peace!

By nursing more often, your supply will come back up. I overdid the block feedings a few times before I got it right. Not to worry, around 3 months, your oversupply will go away on its own anyway.

As for the co-sleeping thing, I never did that either when DS was a newborn. Not personally comfortable sleeping with a newborn. Now that DS is older, I do it sometimes. Growth spurts don't last forever, probably just a couple days or at most a week and you'll be back to normal. Take lots of naps during the day and you'll be fine.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.