Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I stop myself from letting down at work?

Question Can I stop myself from letting down at work?

I am still nursing my 17 month old. I work as a nurse in the Nursery at my hospital. When I hold the new babies for more than a few minutes my milk starts to let down. Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: Can I stop myself from letting down at work?

I really don't think you can do anything to stop it. Just wear nursing pads while your at work so you won't leak. I find that if I'm really busy at work and am not focussing on thinking about DS I let down less often. I can see where that would be impossible for you - occupational hazard

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Your body should get used to not nursing at those times, so will slowly stop letting down. As I'm sure you've figured out, you can cross your arms to put pressure on your breasts to slow the letdown. Hard to do when you're caring for a baby, though.

Thank you for what you do.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

the only other thing I can think of is a good pump before you go to work.
    how often is your child nursing?
    I found I started to have less leaking as my kids nursed less often.
    Now that my dd is 3 I haven't "leaked" it a long time.

That says a lot about you being a nurse, baby frog! Shows how much you care for those precious little ones.

Great job - nursing your 17 month old and being a wonderful care giver

Hehehe! Sorry I have to chuckle. I work in a hospital lab and when the nursery calls I hear the babies and soon let down. I just make sure to wear pads and have plenty of extras. I also learned to cross my arms over my chest if I recognized the number on the cid. I noticed it didnt happen as regularly when I had my super sports bra on but I dont know if it would be bad to wear one all the time. (this bra smushes my d/almost dd's to the point of ZERO movement by the way) Maybe also try and not think about your child when holding the babies. I know its instinctive to think about when they were that age etc. but maybe think about sports or shopping?