Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help relactating at 12 months

Default Help relactating at 12 months

First I'll give you a little background. I am 34 and have 6 kids ages 16, 13,
    11, 5, 3, and 1. I have breastfed all of my children past a year (the longest was almost 4 years!) and NEVER had a problem with my supply. This is my last child as I had my tubes tied during my c-section and I am NOT ready to give up nursing yet. I'm not sure why I have had such a hard time with my supply this time around. My only theories are the tubal (although I've never heard of that having a negative effect on milk supply) or the fact that I have had problems with cysts on my ovaries since my ds was born. I don't know if you can develop PCOS this late in life, but I have had multiple, painful cysts for a couple of months now and I have heard that PCOS can have an effect on supply. And it was when these cysts devoloped that my supply started to drop. Anyway, I had been taking more milk plus and goat's rue to keep my supply up, but then had to go a day without nursing because I had a CT scan w/ contrast done and they told me I had to wait a day to nurse. After that I haven't felt a let down at all and my breasts have shrunk to nothing. Ds hates formula (all kinds) and cows milk, plus the cows milk gives him diarrhea. The only things he's taking right now are juice, baby food, and some solids. I can get him to take a mixture of formula and cows milk, but only when he's tired. I never wanted him to be on formula in the first place and want more than anything to get back to nursing. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my supply is so low, and how to get it back? He'll still nurse when he's half asleep, but gets mad at the lack of milk if he's up and alert. I just started pumping 2 days ago (Medela pump and style) but I've never been able to get more than a few drops when pumping..even with a good supply so will it even do any good? Any other suggestions? The thought of not being able to nurse any more has me in tears all the time Please help!

Sincerely,
    Terri

p.s. Sorry if this post is a bit disorganized
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

Default Re: Help relactating at 12 months

I stopped breastfeeding at 2 weeks and then at 6 months decided that my baby needed breastmilk. I have been taking domperidone and fenugreek capsules and have been getting about 5 oz a day and a little more everyday. SO if that is working for me and I hadn't breastfed in that long maybe it will work for you. Good Luck

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I have been taking the more milk plus and the goat's rue and was thinking of adding the domperidone. Did you get a prescription for it? I found a place online where you don't need one, but am a little unsure about doing it that way. I really wish I knew what happened to my supply. It's so depressing to be having these problems now, with my last baby, when I have never had a problem nursing before. For heaven's sake, I was able to keep up my supply and nurse through 2 pregnancies! I have been struggling with this from about 6 months. I got him to nurse for an hour the other night, but he was sleeping the whole time. Do you think that is good stimulation? He was sucking the whole time, but I wouldn't call it "active" sucking. Should I still pump afterward? Also, I'm wondering about the more milk... from what I understand, when you are taking enough fenugreek, you can smell it. I don't. The woman that I get it from said this had something to do with one of the other ingredients in it, but if it's not working that well, could that mean that I'm not taking enough or not getting enough fenugreek? I'm trying to get in touch with the lll leader in my area, but she just had a baby so she's a little busy :-) I'm sorry to rattle on like this..I'm just so frustrated and depressed. It's good to finally talk to ppl who don't think I'm nuts for continuing to try when he's a year old lol. Most ppl think I should just give up. I just can't do it...especially when he's not doing well on cow's milk or formula. Anyway... sorry again for rattling on...any info you can give me about the dom would be great. Also if you have had any side affects from it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy.of.6 View Post
    Also, I'm wondering about the more milk... from what I understand, when you are taking enough fenugreek, you can smell it. I don't. The woman that I get it from said this had something to do with one of the other ingredients in it, but if it's not working that well, could that mean that I'm not taking enough or not getting enough fenugreek?
    I am sure that there are some other mamas with info on dom, but I just wanted to let you know that I had very little smell with fenugreek, and some of the mamas I know never got any smell - but - it worked the same for them. So don't get discouraged!

You are working so hard to do the best for your LO.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

i was weary of getting my Dom from inhousepharmacy.com but i went ahead and bit the bullet. It came just fine and all is well.

Good luck
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

I got the dom from inhousepharmacy.com and it came great no problems. I would def recommend going that route. I also got it from one of the compounding pharmacies online with md prescription, but that was more expensive. The fenugreek definately made me smell like maple syrup but I was the only one who noticed. There are some other posts that helped me and gave me a lot of encouragment. You can check those out as well. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions let me know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

When my supply drops, I take 3 capsules of fengureek with 3 capsules of blessed thistle three times a day with my meals. I never smelled like maple syrup, and I KNOW that this works for me. so, give it a try! I also have success with the MOther's Milk tea - good luck!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Is this safe to take while pg? Any of the meds/herbs?