Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help relactating at 12 months

Default Need help relactating at 12 months

First I'll give you a little background. I am 34 and have 6 kids ages 16, 13,
    11, 5, 3, and 1. I have breastfed all of my children past a year (the longest was almost 4 years!) and NEVER had a problem with my supply. This is my last child as I had my tubes tied during my c-section and I am NOT ready to give up nursing yet. I'm not sure why I have had such a hard time with my supply this time around. My only theories are the tubal (although I've never heard of that having a negative effect on milk supply) or the fact that I have had problems with cysts on my ovaries since my ds was born. I don't know if you can develop PCOS this late in life, but I have had multiple, painful cysts for a couple of months now and I have heard that PCOS can have an effect on supply. And it was when these cysts devoloped that my supply started to drop. Anyway, I had been taking more milk plus and goat's rue to keep my supply up, but then had to go a day without nursing because I had a CT scan w/ contrast done and they told me I had to wait a day to nurse. After that I haven't felt a let down at all and my breasts have shrunk to nothing. Ds hates formula (all kinds) and cows milk, plus the cows milk gives him diarrhea. The only things he's taking right now are juice, baby food, and some solids. I can get him to take a mixture of formula and cows milk, but only when he's tired. I never wanted him to be on formula in the first place and want more than anything to get back to nursing. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my supply is so low, and how to get it back? He'll still nurse when he's half asleep, but gets mad at the lack of milk if he's up and alert. I just started pumping 2 days ago (Medela pump and style) but I've never been able to get more than a few drops when pumping..even with a good supply so will it even do any good? Any other suggestions? The thought of not being able to nurse any more has me in tears all the time Please help!

Sincerely,
    Terri

p.s. Sorry if this post is a bit disorganized

Default Re: Need help relactating at 12 months

Terri I don't have any info about tubals causeing low supply but its something to think about.
    I'm sorry your having a hard time.
    Pumping should help bring in more milk.

How many times are you pumping?
    Did you ever try hand expressing?
    Some moms have more luck with hand expressing