Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant nipple pain...does it go away?

Exclamation Constant nipple pain...does it go away?

Aloha mamas,

I have a 7-week old strong baby girl, and my poor flat, big nipples are in trauma every time we nurse. Iʻve met with a local LC who claims her latch is correct, but each time she latches on there is a sharp burning pain in the nipple that lasts for about 5 minutes or less, then goes away as she nurses. I hate that I wince with pain at every feeding, dreading to latch her on like Iʻm sticking my nipple in a blender. Weʻve moved past the cracked and bleeding phase, and there are no signs of thrush or mastitis...did anyone else have pain like this? How long does it last? I take Advil sometimes to help, and I pray it will stop being torture and I can enjoy breastfeeding!

Default Re: Constant nipple pain...does it go away?

are you sure its not thrush? Sounds like what happened to me when my Lo and I had thrush. My son didn't have the white patches the 3rd time we had thrush, so you can't always count for that as a sign! Maybe you should try some Gentian Violet, or Grapefruit seed extract on your nipples. If that helps it probably is thrush. I'm no expert but thats my advice!

Is your LO gassy?

hang in there
    Mommy to Soren Elliott
    Born 11/20/08 No Drugs, No Epi, all natural water birth baby

At birth: 8lbs 15oz Discharge: 8lbs 6oz 2 weeks:9 lbs 6 weeks: 12lbs 10oz! 11 weeks: 14lbs 7 oz 4 months: 17lbs 8oz 6 months: 19lbs 13oz
    Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!
    I work from home! Ask me how!

I had a similar thing that lasted about 2 months. It was only on initial latch and stopped once she started feeding well - which made me dread the start! It eventually eased off and went away by the end of 2 months. I never figured out what it was though. Since it was just in my nipples I wondered if it was something to do with the force of milk going out?
    Baby Girl born 10/17/08
    birth: 8lb 15 oz
    2 mos: 14 lb 5 oz
    3 mos: 17 lb
    4 mos: 20 lb 1 oz Mama's Milk!!!
    as much as possible at home... at work for my babe

Four months!

I had this with DS1- never figured out what it was, but it eventually just stopped. Probably between 2 and 3 months. It helped me to mentally prepare for the initail latch by saying something like "you're doing a selfless act by providing for your baby. the pain can not break you" yeah, it's kind of corny, but it helped me put it into perspective...

Hopefully it's nothing serious and will just go away on it's own.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

What techniques have you tried while latching? Breast sandwich, Flipple, asymmetrical latch?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I had the same problem, and can really sypathise with you. it is awefull!!!
    I had tried everything and took paracetamol at times for the pain.
    HOWEVER at about three months my DD just latched on and the pain was not there. I have read that this is common as at about three months some babies latch on and adjust bythemselves so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

That does sound a lot like what I went through when DS and I both got thrush (in his mouth and lips and on my nipples). OMG I thought I was going to die from the pain. Does he have white (kind of cheesy looking) patches on the inside of his mouth, tongue, or lips? My doc also told me that it is possible for just one of the bf'ing pair to have the thrush. Meaning, you could have it even if he doesn't have the symptoms. I aggree with the pp'er that Gentian Violet may be worth a shot.

Good luck, and hang in there! It will get better!

They say that breastfeeding is never supposed to hurt, but I hurt every time for the first several weeks also. We had a qualified LC tell me everything was fine with the latch, and I didn't have any of the other issues (thrush, etc.). Eventually, it stopped hurting. I think my little one just eventually got more expert at nursing. So definitely do everything that you can to rule out fixable problems! But there are some of us out there for whom it just got better on its own. I can't promise that will happen in your case, but you're definitely not alone.

Hi, there.

Congrats on your new little baby! So sorry to hear you're having some pain while nursing... breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt. Good for you for seeing an LC! You may want to see another *experienced* lactation consultant or LLL Leader since this would be the first time you're experiencing pain... to rule out anything else, in other words.

Until then, you can use some simple vinegar and water solution after nursings and allow your nipples to air dry. Change those breast pads often, too, if you're using them. You can also try calling the LLL hotline until you can see someone. 1-800-La-LECHE OR 1-877-4-LA-LECHE.

Does it hurt all the time or only when baby nurses?

Also, just a word of caution with Gentian Violet, using too much can sometimes burn baby's mouth.

Hang in there!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*salamanda View Post
    are you sure its not thrush? Sounds like what happened to me when my Lo and I had thrush. My son didn't have the white patches the 3rd time we had thrush, so you can't always count for that as a sign!
    DD didn't have the white patches when we had thrush, either. But that's definitely what was causing my pain in the beginning. My nipples are still cracked from it, and she's almost 5 months old now. (Although they are finally almost healed up.) Since then, I've had sore nipples almost every day from frequent nursing -- not after each feeding, but some fairly intense soreness at least once daily. BUT, there is HOPE!! Because lately it has begun to taper off to maybe once every other day, sometimes once every 2 days, so it IS getting better and it will probably get better for you, too.

But if I were you, I'd double check with another doc just to make absolutely sure it isn't thrush!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!