Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work at 1 year

Default Going back to work at 1 year

Hi ladies,
    Well, I've been home for over a year now and I need to start thinking about finding a DCP and a job. I'll be looking for both full-time and part-time but in our area, I'm really not seeing many PT jobs that pay enough. I am a little excited at the thought of going back to work, but also terrified of leaving Kaitlyn.

I have some questions for those who have BTDT:

How much time do you spend with your LO after work before he/she goes to bed? How early do you wake them up before you need to leave for daycare? I hate the idea of only being with DD for a couple of hours before she goes to bed, and having those hours just be a series of driving home/dinner/bath/bedtime, but I can't really imagine how else she would get enough sleep.

If I'm putting her into daycare at 13 months and she hasn't had whole milk yet (waiting for doctor's OK), should I be pumping during the day? If I do introduce whole milk, should I still be pumping or can I get away with just nursing her at night/weekends? Maybe I could just pump at lunch?

Are there any links that were especially helpful to you in terms of asking the right questions when interviewing DCPs?

This is pretty much a rhetorical question, but HTH is this DCP going to get my stubborn toddler to sleep without nursing/walking if that's all we've done for the past year?

Kaitlyn has never had a babysitter outside the family so I'm so nervous about all of it. I really kind of put myself into a spot because our only local babysitter is my sister, and she works during the day so I'm not sure how I can even go on job interviews! So I guess I need to start interviewing DCPs, start interviewing PT babysitters, and find a job.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Going back to work at 1 year

I don't have any advice but I do have for you. You're 9 months ahead of me and I'll be in your place. I'm sure you'll find the best solution for both you and Kaitlyn.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Oh mama...I just wish you lived here...I would pay you to be Nolie's nanny and you could still stay home!

Lots of hugs....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

If you are interested I know my DCP would talk to you about these issues. She has won several awards in CA (ie-Family Childcare Provider of the Year) and is really helpful.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

No advice just lots of I am sure everything will work out.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pub...ons/PM1805.pdf

There is a checklist in this article I would also ask if she transports childrens, what is the routine for naps, do they let the children cry/for how long when going to sleep, are they on the CA food program, will she use cloth diapers (bring an example).

I think when you are away from LOs during the day the time you spend with them is that much more important. Max and I spend all weekend together, about 1 hour per morning and 4 hours per night. I have to say that I have skipped a bath or to to kkep playing or reading etc. Your priorities shift.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Oh mama...I just wish you lived here...I would pay you to be Nolie's nanny and you could still stay home!
    And I would do it, gladly!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    If you are interested I know my DCP would talk to you about these issues. She has won several awards in CA (ie-Family Childcare Provider of the Year) and is really helpful.
    Yes! That would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.