Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I can't find a place to pump ...

Default I can't find a place to pump ...

I've been at work for about 6 weeks now. For the month of December I was Part-time and with the holiday schedule, finding a place to pump was no problem. This week was my first week back full time and it was a nightmare.

I work in an outpatient clinic and there are ~21 exam rooms. There haven't been any problems with my using an empty to pump until yesterday. They were doing interviews and were using all the rooms and offices. Normally I'm a calm and collected person. People come to me when they have problems but I just couldn't handle it yesterday. I was passing by the person in charge of the interviews and asked her if they were using Dr X's office. She said "YES". Her tone of voice was so curt that it instantly sent me off into an emotional frenzy. I walked off crying.

So today I asked a tech if I could use his office (I've used it before) and he said sure. Little did I know there was a room crunch and my boss promised that room to one of the physicians. Now how was I supposed to know that? He didn't tell me and I didn't know.

Once I was done and walked back to my desk, my boss pulls me into her office and tells me I should use one of the lactation rooms on campus. I told her the only ones on campus are 3 buildings away and that I would be done pumping by the time I walked there and back. She was "sympathetic" in the only way she knows how as a single person without children (she laughs things off). I asked her if someone complained and she said no. She said she was trying to preempt any problems or complaints that I was using exam space to pump.

Ok fine. I respect that. I also am thankful I can take so much time out in my day to pump. What I don't appreciate is how unfair it is. When female physicians come to clinic and use our rooms, they pump in those rooms when they're not seeing a patient. There are also physicians that have offices with locks on this floor and they pump in there. Why do I have to walk 3 buildings away to pump? Why do I have to feel like my child is not privileged enough to have a mommy with a medical degree who can pump in their exam room or office? I will NOT stop pumping for my son. I can tell you this though, I sure do feel unappreciated right now. I work so hard for this place, helping where and when I can and this is how I'm treated. That's fine. I won't get my work done, they'll complain and I can tell them in a few days that I need to be able to pump closer to my desk. I don't even take a lunch as it is because I'm pumping.

I'm off to cry again ...

Default Re: I can't find a place to pump ...

Sorry you are having so many problems mama! What state are you in? In most cases your employer is required to provide a space within reasonable proximity that is NOT a bathroom.....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

It's true that there is legislation to provide Mom's with a place to pump. If there are facilities available, then I would suggest that you use them. But I'd also make it very clear that it means you'll be away from the office longer due to the walk and that they'll have to accept that without comment.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

. Keep your head up. I continue to be amazed at how unsupportive of each other women can be sometimes.

Here's what I would do. I'd take my boss aside at the end of the day and thank her for allowing me the time to pump and say that I hope I can continue to do so with the least amount of inconvenience to the rest of the staff. Then state that if she prefer that I use a lac room, that I'm happy to do so as long as she understands that this will double my time away from work. I would then suggest that perhaps she might consider creating a space within the office since there are physicians and others who need a pumping space as well and I'd volunteer to help work with the staff to determine the best and most appropriate place for this.

And if going to a different building is how she still wants it, then enjoy the extra time off from work, breath the fresh air, and clear your mind...hey, you might even get a better pump output as a result!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

OMG! So many people have suggested I pump in the unisex/handicap bathroom. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I ask them, with a straight face, if they'd like eating their lunch in the bathroom and most of them don't really get why I ask that ...

*sigh*

Two of my coworkers asked if I was ok when they saw me crying ... I just printed out my post for them to read.

*sniff*

I pulled out the campus map just to make sure I had the right building in mind and sure enough ... it's across the street and it's the 3rd building from the front of the block. It'll take me at least 10 minutes to get there.

I need to calm down and get work done *wipes eyes* Thank goodness it's Friday ...

Here is a site you can go to to find your state and find out specifically how the law applies to you. I am assuming that "reasonable proximity" doesn't mean 3 building away either!

Good luck mama...lots of
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm sorry that stinks!
    Talk to some of the other pumping moms maybe they would be willing to share their offices. OR work together with you to figure out a space.