Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! can only pump once at work

Default Help! can only pump once at work

I work 4 days a week and on those days, basically, I'll be going 8 hours before I can pump (only at lunch), while my DS takes 2-3 bottles. It's so busy that I have no time to step away. I'm always terribly engorged by then and it so much pain, but there's nothing I can do.

I'm worried that my supply will tank and that I'll end up with clogged ducts/mastitis.

I know there's not much I can do..but does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Help! can only pump once at work

Is there any way you can move your lunch earlier so that you aren't going as long before pumping? Do you nurse or pump right before you go in? 8 hours is a long time to go, I bet you do get really uncomfortably engorged. If it's a matter of convincing a boss, there are definitely health complications that can occur as a result of going so long (like the ones you mentioned).

I hope you can figure something out. Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I've been there! I can only pump once at work - I have to put my baby to bed, but I'll be back tonight or tomorrow with some ideas. you can make it work. I have been EBF my daughter and she is 6 1/2 mo. It's not impossible....more soon.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Are you getting bathroom breaks? You might consider taking 5 minutes and hand expressing just to get some milk out while your in the bathroom. If I had to I'd just lean over the sink or toilet and express. Seems a waste but that's better than doing nothing.
    Any way to talk to your boss/HR so that you can make some time for a break? I know some jobs that's just really hard. If you think of it as a medical necessity (like having to take an insulin shot) then everyone understands how important it is to take a few minutes and do what you've got to do.

I agree with pp. I had to hand express into a toilet many times - to make it through my morning or afternoon until I could pump or nurse.

Do you have to go 8 full hours before pumping? or do you work an 8 hour day and can only pump once?

If you can pump once during those 8 hours that should be enough to keep up your milk supply, even if your baby eats on a different schedule (I've done it for 6 mo with no sign of stopping).

If you have to go 8 full hours without pumping I would either see about switching your break time around, or learn to hand express.

Hand expressing isn't always easy - I couldn't do it with my first baby, but for some reason, when I wasn't so stressed about it, I could hand express very well with my second.

Good luck and feel free to private message me if you need more advice or tips. i've been there and it is tough - but it can be done!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

I can't go to lunch earlier/switch lunches because of the way everything is set up. I work at a hospital and each shift has a designated lunch, which is covered by another shift...so it's hard to change things around (sorry it's hard to explain how it works).

But I go 8 hours on certain days (depending on the shift) before I can pump because my lunch is slated towards the end of the day. Most days I go 7 hours, which isn't any better, but more tolerable.

I guess I'll have to hand express in the bathroom to relieve the pain...although some days leaving to go to the bathroom is also impossible! Thanks for the advice!

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I think nurses are AMAZING! And to be a nurse and breast feed your baby is just INCREDIBLE! You are a strong woman.

Just a thought (this might be a little weird), but if you can't go the bathroom, can you at least go into a closet or something and express into a paper towel?

Or carry a little bottle/cup with you and if you have to get something in a closet or closed room, just pull it out of your pocket and express a little bit?

Once you get good at hand expression, it only takes a couple of minutes to express enough to at least relieve the pain.

I hope it gets better for you!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months