Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: curious, for a friend.

Default curious, for a friend.

She says her grandma and great grandma had NO milk what so ever, but her mother had PLENTY and actually over 7 years ago had a child and still HAS milk? *not sure how long she nursed the child for* Well my friend who is the daughter of the mama who had lots of milk, said her supply was low with her first DD and so she gave up nursing after 8 days of trying.* she was very uneducated at that time*

now she is looking to get pregnant again, and wants to BF.

So my question is.. is there a chance her supply this time, coudl be normal? if not great!? Or would her supply not change from baby to baby!?

I know they say every pregnancy is different, so does that count for every nursing expierence too!?

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: curious, for a friend.

most cases of low supply come from breastfeeding mismanagement.
    lots of moms think thier supply was low when realy it was fine
    they start supplimenting and then the just make less milk because they are just removing less milk.

She can do it this time if she has the right info and the right help!

that it was likely lack of education on BF rather than a true supply issue. For example, I have a friend who was told by her OB that her 8lb baby "wouldn't get enough" at the breast before her milk came in, so she supplemented with formula, baby never learned to latch... You can probably guess how that went. :rolleyes

It just frustrates me to no end that there is a significant portion of our childbearing population who have been convinced that their bodies are somehow faulty, and they CAN'T BF, birth vaginally etc. Our bodies were designed for these things, and while there are exceptions, I absolutely see damage being done with offhand remarks and plain bad advice from healthcare professionals and others.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

oh yeah...
    when I was ph with my 3rd baby the ob told me I could "try" and breastfeed but my nipples were flat and it just wouldn't work....

And I said funny thing I totaly breastfeed my 2nd baby with out any bottles.

What a dork

I know he told other moms the same thing!

All kinds of bad info out there and most that are spouting it don't have any clue what they are saying!

That most cases of low supply are due to mismanagement, lack of information, lack of support, etc. However, there definitely are cases of women who have low supply due to other issues, especially hormonal. IMHO, it is worth her checking into before she gets pregnant. There may be something she can do while pregnant to increase her likelihood of having enough milk. With a family history of women who made no milk or plenty of milk and still are even though not nursing, can be a sign of a hormonal issue. lowmilksupply.org is a good resource as well as the new book recommended by LLL called "The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk". Most important of all would be a thorough discussion with her doctor. Just my 2 cents.
    2001 2004 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    most cases of low supply come from breastfeeding mismanagement.
    Both my grandmas were told that they had no milk. Back in their day, breastfeeding was actively discouraged by the medical profession- it was so unscientific, after all!- and in addition, doctors knew very little about it, so they were likely to give advice that was detrimental to breastfeeding, like "Don't feed your baby more often than every 4 hours" or "Don't hold your baby too much" or "Babies need solids once they are 3 weeks old," or "Your baby isn't gaining weight fast enough, your milk must be weak."

It is definitely possible for your friend to nurse her next baby with more success than she did her first one. Many moms notice that their milk comes in faster with subsequent babies, and I think it's pretty common for a mom who struggled with her supply the first time around to have no trouble with her second baby. The more she educates herself about breastfeeding, the more likely it is that it will go well. She can go to a LLL meeting, she can join this forum (), she can read up on breastfeeding. Some of my favorite breastfeeding books are:
    The Breastfeeding Cafe by Barbara Behrman
    The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by LLL
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

8 days really isn't long enough IMO to know if things are going well or not in most cases. Yes, in severe cases by day 8 you'll know, but in most, not so much. I have low supply, always have but I'm busting my butt to try and improve it this time, but I have a hx to go by now, it wasn't a one time thing where I only tried for 8 days. There's also no reason to not bf just b/c you have low supply I've bf and ff for 13 mos, 12 mos, and 9.5 mos.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

I just wanted to add that many times our grandmothers generation was give a pill to dry up their milk WITHOUT their knowledge or consent. My grandmother wanted to nurse, but she said in those days if a Dr gave you a pill you took it and didn't ask or question.
    We've come a long way thank god.

My grandma didn't nurse my mom b/c she had had a c/s. Now grandma may be a bit fuzzy, lol, but it was an unnecessary c/s where she was flat out lied to so I can only wonder what they told her about bfing. She bf her other 2 children just fine (before mom) afaik. My mom (and MIL) didn't even bother.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)