Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stomach massage?

Question stomach massage?

how exactly does one do this?
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: stomach massage?

My doctor said we could do this when LO was having gas pains. Her poor little belly was so tight, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

If that's why you want to do it - something else that you can do is bicycle her legs. Bicycle them, bring her knees into her chest, have one leg down, one leg up.... It all really helped to work the gas through. Assuming that's why you want to do it...
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

if baby is lying on his back looking up at you, you can take 4 fingers on each hands and with light pressure stroke in an upside down U shape. start on HIS RIGHT lower belly-up-over across the chest right across belly and down his left side.

You always want to do counter clockwise on the tummy (when baby is facing you lying down)

hope that's not too confusing
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

i do it for my girl everyday at least once. sometimes twice. her tummy is soft but gassy... the way to check for gas is to use your fingers n hit against their tummy. if it sounds like a drum then there is gas inside. my girl often fart! maybe its because i always massage for her. after every feed, i will burp her too. many people said breastfed babies need no burping but i dont agree because my girl always burped so loudly! if i dont do it, i guess she will feel very uncomfortable..

for me, i use the upside down U method as well. the only difference is i use my thumb instead. there is another method name the 'i love U' method. its by using the I, L, U letters. similar to the upside down U method, all these letters are to be use upside down as well... start off with the letter I, stroke down using your thumb on YOUR BABY's left tummy(beside the navel). then follow by the upside down L, from right to left (horizontal across the top of the navel and down the left side of the navel). then finally U-the upside down U. they are more or less the same... ends with the upside down U anyway
    Last edited by @llli*annieroccoy; January 9th, 2009 at 06:33 AM.

Sorry to contradict, but abdominal massage is always clockwise. That is the flow of the large intestine through the abdominal cavity (which is what the U is supposed to follow).

You can start at the "end" so to speak, which would be the point near your baby's L hip (on you right side if you're facing each other), using small movements to encourage things down, and then move backward, so you're moving things into a space you've already emptied, kwim? This is how I have performed abdominal massage foe constipation in adults. Maybe this is what pp meant.

But if we're talking circles on the belly, always clockwise.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Yes you're right it is clockwise! I don't know what I was thinking b/c I was visualizing it but the typed the wrong way! sorry clockwise is right.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yep I LOVE massage for baby, totally works. Yes on the clockwise

I "paddle" one hand over the other gently against her stomach when I do this. Kind of like you are "kneading" VERY gently in a sense, but going in the clockwise direction. I also use lotion or oil, makes it much easier!! Then I pump her little leggies up (towards her chest)

My girl was really super gassy and this always worked.

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Yes you're right it is clockwise! I don't know what I was thinking b/c I was visualizing it but the typed the wrong way! sorry clockwise is right.

I figured as much once I read your post through again
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

yeah i heard pumping her legs up does help too. n help her to cycle(do the cycling action!)