Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: White spot on nipple

Default White spot on nipple

I have a white spot on my nipple and I am not sure what it is. It is painful when my LO latches on, and it caused me to have a blocked milk duct. DD nursed the blockage away, but the white spot is still there after a week and still painful. It kind of looks like milk trapped under the skin, but it is not bubbling like a blister. Does thrush cause white spots? How would I know the difference and how do I treat it?

I have been weaning DD during the day, and I think that might have something to do with it.

Thanks for your help.
    Cat
    Carissa born 11/3/07

Default Re: White spot on nipple

Sounds like one of your nipple pores is clogged with dried milk.

What I do is nurse with heat on the breast, then when things are nice and soft afterward, I *gently* squeeze the milk out of the pore. You should see milk come out after the drid stuff is out. Don't force it, as you don't want any tissue trauma.

If you're unable to squeeze it out, I've heard that you can lance them, but I personally would see a professional for that.

Hope that helped!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

It doesn't look like a blister or like that photo. It is flat, but a bright white spot under the skin. It could still be a blister though, or clogged pore. That description sounds about right. I was unable to squeeze anything out. I tried the moist heat and pumping. It cleared for maybe a few hours, then was back again. I haven't been able clear it again since then. What type of professional would I see to take care of it? My OB/GYN?
    Cat
    Carissa born 11/3/07

My nipple blisters were almost always flat. They don't have to be raised.

I always tried heat and nursing and all the other good stuff when I had a blister, but I almost always ended up having to lance them. It is something you can do yourself if you want. Personally I thought it was something better done by me than by a professional, because I could sense how deep I was going with the needle, and could stop before I hurt myself. Someone else, who couldn't feel what I was feeling might have poked too far, IYKWIM.

If you decide to pop the blister, you will need the following supplies:
    - a flame
    - a needle
    - a towel

Sterilize the needle by holding it in the flame until the tip glows red. When it cools down, gently pick at the skin over the white spot. Try expressing milk as you pick- when you see milk coming out of the blister you can stop. The milk may be very watery and salty from being backed up in the breast, and may actually spray out the the breast. If it does, catch it in the towel.

Good luck! If pumping and moist heat cleared the problem, I would continue trying that route before doing anything more drastic.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!
    Cat
    Carissa born 11/3/07