Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going back to work next week...

Question going back to work next week...

I will be able to pump about every 3 hours or so. My issue is that my LO feeds about every 2 hours around the clock. I've looked at the chart on kellymom about how much to feed her based on average, but she's a bit bigger than average. 17 lbs at 3 mos. I saw another calculator and between the two I should have anywhere from 2 1/2 oz to 4 1/2. I've frozen in 2-3 oz bags for DH to give while I'm out and she eats all of it and sometimes more so I really have no idea how much to give her!

If she eats every 2 hours, will pumping every 3 be enough? Of course we will breast feed at night and on weekends...
    Baby Girl born 10/17/08
    birth: 8lb 15 oz
    2 mos: 14 lb 5 oz
    3 mos: 17 lb
    4 mos: 20 lb 1 oz Mama's Milk!!!
    as much as possible at home... at work for my babe

Four months!

Default Re: going back to work next week...

I have to go back to work in about a week and a half. I am soooo not looking forward to it & definitely know where you're coming from! I think a lot of it might depend on how much you produce for the pump - but your body may adjust to the schedule. I plan to squeeze in extra pumping sessions at home after DS goes to bed. This will help keep up supply as well as having EBM for feeding the next day.

As far as the feedings now go - maybe DH is overfeeding her a bit? Then again, it sounds like she may be right on target. My hubby seems to always think that the only thing that will solve baby's crying is mama's milk. I used this calculator: http://www.fourfriends.com/cgi-bin/milk.pl to help me decide what to try for the first week while I'm at work. I figure I'll just adjust as I go. I am in no way an expert - just another newbie trying to figure this out too! Good luck!!

pump as much as you can at work. BF your LO when you leave them and when you pick them up and leave it to your body and LO to get used to it and reschedule milk production and feeding schedules. LO is likely to cluster feed in the evening and may wake up to feed more at night.

Leave as much as you can for your DCP the first day and everything will be fine. The less you stress about this the better your milk production will be. It is hard to go back I know but try and focus on the positive it is better for you, LO and supply (much much easier said than done I know). Good luck and enjoy your "grown-up time" at work.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Mama-nauna:
    I thought DH might be overfeeding her too - he also thinks that mama's milk will solve anything. He just doesn't realize that it's the smell, touch/feel, and warmth that accompanies mama's milk that is the total cure all for anything!!

Thanks for the calculator - it at least gives me something to start with.

Durhamgrrl:
    Thanks for the encouragement and the idea to feed when I drop her off and pick her up. I guess I'm getting so bunged up about this that I didn't think about the fact that a feeding there might also make things a bit more comfortable for her, too.
    Baby Girl born 10/17/08

Four months!

its nice to know I'm not alone....on both DH giving milk to solve all probs LOL and working/pumping.
    I go back to work tomorrow ....man I hate it....its going to be so hard to sit at work and think about what I'm missing

here's to all of us
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

I'm there with all of you. I go back in a week. My SO is having a hard time feeding our son from a bottle. I work 12 hr shifts so our LO will be at the sitter for 8 hrs till daddy gets off work. Then he'll have him till I get home. I can get our son to take a bottle but for some reason he can't.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

how did it go ladies?

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

well day one went okay for me. I do have some supply issues. I had mastitis over the weekend before I went back so I could not stock pile....I will have to come home with milk delivery again today.

I work very close to home and my DM watches my LO for me so I was able to come home at lunch and BF it was such a nice break in the day. I plan on doing this every day possible and then Bottle feed the rest of the day until I am off work. Thankfully I am only working Mon Tues and Wed....

I usually pump around the same times during the day but I would not pump at night I would really try to get some sleep but since my supply for my CT is down last night I was pumping after every feeding....I will have to do that for a few days or until I can stock pile some but I feel this new schedule will work itself out and LO seemed okay and very happy to see me at midday he didn't want to let go - just play and look up at me....ahhh so sweet.

I do have a question for you other working/pumping mommies....how long do you pump and how often do you pump?
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

Each day all I could think about was that it was the longest day of my life. And I'm sure there was a rip in the time-space continuum making it the longest week EVER! Everyone at daycare says it gets better but I think they're fibbing.

I pumped first thing in the morning, about every three hours while at work, and added an extra after putting her down at night by the end of the week to keep up. She eats about every two hours at DC (and at home on the breast). When I pump I only have about 10-15 minutes to do so. Hopefully I will be able to keep up...

Overall, I think it would be really great to not have to work -- at least not so much. Then I remember we need a roof over our heads and food to eat...ah well!
    Baby Girl born 10/17/08

Four months!

congratulations. you just did one of the hardest things you will ever do. And you did it well. Give yourself a pat on the back.

It will get better.

Maternity leave needs to be paid and longer and we should have the option of half time for the first year after we go back! Seriously - go write to your congressman.

Family beds are awesome