Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thrush treatment

Default thrush treatment

hey there. my lactation consultant recommended that i use clotrimazole cream on my nipples to help with the pain of thrush and it really helps.

My question is: can I use lanolin at the same time? Or will lanolin interfere with the clotrimazole? It's so gooey, i thought maybe it would keep things from airing out.

The first couple times, I put clotrimazole on first, then lanolin; then I stopped the lanolin b/c i was worried about this issue, and now my nipples are getting hard again. Yowies.

Default Re: thrush treatment

lanolin isn't recommended during thrush treatment because it just keeps everything moist and allows the yeast to keep growing. vinegar/water rinses and air drying are good ideas.

And here is more info on thrush:http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083100.asp
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

dang, i was afraid of that. well, hopefully the thrush will clear up before tey get too hard.

i am so much happier just sitting around topless, but stepson is ALWAYS around!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*madfoot View Post
    hey there. my lactation consultant recommended that i use clotrimazole cream on my nipples to help with the pain of thrush and it really helps.

My question is: can I use lanolin at the same time? Or will lanolin interfere with the clotrimazole? It's so gooey, i thought maybe it would keep things from airing out.

The first couple times, I put clotrimazole on first, then lanolin; then I stopped the lanolin b/c i was worried about this issue, and now my nipples are getting hard again. Yowies.
    Yeast can be so tough to get rid of sometimes... . so sorry you're having to battle with it! Hang in there... you'll get over this obstacle!

Thomas Hale lists Clotrimazole as an L1 ("Safest") and says "it is generally used for candidiasis [thrush]... ." It can be tough for thrush to completely get treated, though, so definitely follow through with treatment.

You may want to try using the clotrimazole after nursings... Lanolin oftentimes will exasperate the yeast as it is a "perfect" breeding ground for the yeast... warm and moist.

And, yes, rinsing with a water & vinegar solution after each nursing works wonders to help get things back in balance.

speedy healing & take care,
    carla
    Carla
    LLL Leader

could it be making her gassy? sddenly yesterday evening, very unhappy; now happening again, and very farty

and burpy

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*madfoot View Post
    could it be making her gassy? sddenly yesterday evening, very unhappy; now happening again, and very farty
    Do you mean you think the thrush is making her gassy??
    Carla
    LLL Leader