Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost afraid to post this here, but need to know if I'm alone in doing this.

Unhappy Almost afraid to post this here, but need to know if I'm alone in doing this.

I had a great supply of frozen BM built up while I was on maternity leave w/my DS--bags and bags of it in the deep freezer. I teach high school and can only pump once during the day. (Or so I thought) I cried when I realized I'd not been pumping enough for him, when the frozen BM stash ran out unexpectedly--I thought I had a whole gallon ziploc full of little ziplocs of milk left! I didn't!! So, this week, I dropped off my milk from the previous day's pumping, and also a small can of Similac, bc I do not want him to starve if he needs another feeding before I pick him up. He only took 2oz of the formula yest., and I was glad that was all. I know it's not going to KILL him, and he's been EBF for 5 months now, AND he'll still get all my pumped milk and BF exclusively when at home.

Where I am now: I've started taking time out of my 9am prep hour to pump, and pumping at my 11am lunch period, and forcing myself to stay up later and pump again EVERY NIGHT, not just sometimes. I think I can eliminate any need for formula most of the time within a few days--won't my milk supply adjust to my more frequent pumping sessions? I'm getting around 11-14oz per day doing it this way, and he usually drinks around that much at the sitter's.

Rest assured that I WILL NOT give up BFing. I LOVE IT beyond reason, as does DS, and even if he has to take a couple of oz. of Similac a day if my previous day's pumping doesn't quite measure up, I can live w/that, bc he's get BM the other 99% of the time.

RIGHT?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by @llli*JosieWales; January 8th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Almost afraid to post this here, but need to know if I'm alone in doing this.

You are not alone by any means! Many other working moms have had to do exactly what you did yesterday, including me. Remember, you are still giving your child the best that you possibly can. The more you stress about it, the less your body could produce when pumping. Enjoy your nursing relationship and be very proud of your accomplishments! 5 months EBF, is awesome!

Your supply should adjust within a couple days, try eating some oatmeal or the Mother's Milk Plus, and really relax when pumping in order to get the most out of your pumping sessions!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Default Re: Almost afraid to post this here, but need to know if I'm alone in doing this.

i think you're doing a great job!! i'm sure you'll catch up with all the extra pumping. keep up the good work!

It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job, mama. Your supply will definitely adjust to your new pumping schedule. I know it's not preferred to supplement with formula, but sometimes it is necessary. If you can pump enough to be able to stop supplementing that will be great! If you need to keep the supplements around just in case, it's not the end of the world.

Some other things you might be able to do to increase your pumping output are breast compressions, looking at pictures of baby while you pump, eating oatmeal, taking herbal supplements like fenugreek or mother's milk tea.

You are not alone in doing this. I was never able to pump enough to get my daughter through the day without me so we supplemented with formula every day until she was around 1 and stopped taking the bottle. She continued to nurse any time we were together- mornings, evenings, nights and weekends and I never had any supply troubles during those times (I made sure never to use formula or my expressed milk when I was available to feed her), I just didn't respond well to the pump.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well, my emotional self is just all teary-eyed, so glad to hear that I'm not a crummy momma! My mom and DH told me I was doing great, but I just wanted to hear it from mommies who have been in the same boat. THANK YOU, ladies!

Paige, I NEVER give DS EBM myself--he only gets a bottle when I'm not there! I'm very selfish about our nursing time, anyway.
    ---Josie

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

BF for 22 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*JosieWales View Post
    Paige, I NEVER give DS EBM myself--he only gets a bottle when I'm not there! I'm very selfish about our nursing time, anyway.
    I always was too. People gave me a hard time about it sometimes, but I didn't care. I was proud to never have given her a bottle myself. Well there was that one time we were stuck in traffic and I tried it, but she wouldn't take the bottle from me anyway and I soon after learned how to nurse her in her car seat.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I soon after learned how to nurse her in her car seat.
    Not from the front seat, I assume...
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*JosieWales View Post
    Not from the front seat, I assume...
    Go go gadget boobs!! No, they aren't nearly big enough for that.
    --Anonymous