Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often does your infant nurse>

Default Re: How often does your infant nurse>

She nurses up and down every time she sleeps....

around 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm-whenever she decides to STAY asleep Then she usually nurses 2-3x/night. And I have pretty good storage capacity in my right boob...but poor lefty doesn't hold much...never has
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My 7 week old son nurses every 2 hours during the day, and every 3 hours at night. Hes pretty efficient at eating too, takes him about 10 minutes to empty a breast! pretty good IMO!
    Mommy to Soren Elliott
    Born 11/20/08 No Drugs, No Epi, all natural water birth baby

At birth: 8lbs 15oz Discharge: 8lbs 6oz 2 weeks:9 lbs 6 weeks: 12lbs 10oz! 11 weeks: 14lbs 7 oz 4 months: 17lbs 8oz 6 months: 19lbs 13oz
    Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!
    I work from home! Ask me how!

For a long time DD was nursing about 6-8 a day. she has recently decided to switch to nursing ALL-THE-TIME I think it has more to do with the baby though because my DS nursed a ton and started to slow down at about this age.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

My baby eats about every 2.5hrs during the day and then every 3-4 hours during the night (he's 6 weeks old). My question is HOW LONG does your baby nurse on average? Mine nurses at least 30 min (15 min each breast) and up to 1 hr...(which drains me physically). Also, i think one of my breast has less milk than another...i don't know what to do about it...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmomdo View Post
    My baby eats about every 2.5hrs during the day and then every 3-4 hours during the night (he's 6 weeks old). My question is HOW LONG does your baby nurse on average? Mine nurses at least 30 min (15 min each breast) and up to 1 hr...(which drains me physically). Also, i think one of my breast has less milk than another...i don't know what to do about it...
    See- that's another wierd thing about my kid- so he only nurses maybe 6-7 times a day and it's only for like 10 minutes each time! There are maybe two times when he goes for 20 minutes, and it's usually at night when he falls asleep at the breast. All other times he nurses, then I put him in his swing or sling and he puts himslef to sleep.

So, in total he nurses like an hour and a half a day! I don't know what to do with myself all day long! (but that will change when i go back to work monday, boo...)
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missmari View Post
    Out of curiosity, how often or how many times a day do you nurse your infant?

I have no concerns that my son (7 weeks) isn't eating enough- he doubled his birth weight by 6 weeks and always has enough wet/dirty diapers.

I always feed on demand, but there are some days where he will only nurse maybe 6 times in 24 hours. Like yesterday/today... He slept for 8 hours last night, I fed him at 7 and he slept again til 1- so that's only 1 feeding in 14 hours!

I guess every child is unique, but this is very strange to me since my older son nursed like crazy both day and night. I just can't imagine that he's getting that much milk at each session that he can go so long in between...
    Hi, there!

Yes, it does sound a little off... Hooray for listening to your mommy voice!

The most important thing is to know if your baby has plenty of wet and poopie diapers. Is this happening? Was your baby born full-term and is he healthy, otherwise? What has your ped suggested?

Most exclusively breastfed newborns need to nurse about 8-12x per day in order to get enough milk. Although this might vary a little with every baby, wet diaper counts should be plenty.

It sounds like your lo is a sleepy baby where you'll need to wake him up to feed sometimes. Sometimes, taking off baby's clothes to their diaper helps keep them awake while nursing... as will a wet cloth on baby's face, tickling his toes & back, etc.

Breast Compression tends to be a wonderful technique for sleepy babies, too. Have you tried something like this?? Here's a good article on breast compression.

Basically, the idea behind breast compression is to help the baby get more milk and more hindmilk at each feeding. Once baby is no longer "drinking" milk and has slowed down (less "temple & ear" movement), hold most of your breast with one hand and compress... do this firmly yet not so hard that it hurts. You may see some drinking motions (jaw, temple, ear motion).. . keep compressing ( don't release) until baby slows down and begins "nibbling." If after you release the pressure and baby begins sucking/drinking, wait until he stops sucking and begins "nibbling" before you begin compression, again. If he doesn't start nursing again, say in 10 seconds or so, start the compression, again, each time moving your hand in a different area of the breast.

Once you do this for a while & baby begins to get sleepy or just frustrated because the milk flow gets slower, go ahead & offer the other breast & repeat the compression as before. If he's wanting more, you can continue going back and forth as many times as you need & baby is interested.

Again, this is just another idea you might want to try until you can speak with your ped.

take care,

best,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

I have a 3 month old and it's 7-8 times a day. I watch the diapers closely because I'm always paranoid she's not getting enough, esp since she loves going long stretches during the day.
    for 1 year so far! Woot!

I guess I'm not too worried about him getting enough since he's happy, healthy and growing. I was just curious how it compared to others.

Should I really be worried about "sleepy baby" at almost 2 months? I thought that was more of a newborn thing. It's always been my rule to let sleeping babies sleep...

Maybe I should get him weighed this week and not wait 2 weeks for his next well checkup, just to make sure he's still gaining.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

My DD is 7 wks old tomorrow. We nurse about every 2.5 hrs during the day, then around 10, she'll either cluster feed for another two hours or she'll just go down for the night. Then she'll go 3-5 hr stretches between nursings and then we wake up around 7:30 am to start the new day.

It used to take us only 15-20 minutes total each nursing session, but for some reason, lately (for the past week), she's become a really lazy nurser, too and it's been taking an hour to nurse each time b/c she doesn't seem to want the big & fast feeds anymore. I am practically forcing the nipple on her to keep her nursing! The concerning thing is that her diaper output is not as good, either... ? The LC/LLL leader doesn't seem to be worried, but she left me her weight scale just to put my mind at ease. My DD has barely gained 1 oz in 3 days. Is this okay???

Any way to fix the lazy nursing? I'm already doing breast compressions and doing everything to keep her somewhat awake enough to suck a little anyway.

Smile Re: How often does your infant nurse>

Annabella also at two months had a day or two where she slept alot and fed alot less because she was sleeping.. I think it's ok because she is dandy now. She is gaining weight well and although it has been almost two months since her last appointment, I can TELL she is gaining alot, lol, little chunker! So cute!! So I think as long as it's not for daaaays and she is acting just fine, your ok mama! I'm not recommending not to, but I was always a little hesitant with jumping to call the doc because of good reasons I've heard from people.. like them jumping to conclusions! As a new mama EVERYTHING was worrying me at first, but I have definately learned quick to go with my instincts as her mommy and I can't go wrong with that! Thank God for this little blessing!!
    Goodluck to ya!!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10