Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often does your infant nurse>

Default Re: How often does your infant nurse>

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missmari View Post
    I always feed on demand, but there are some days where he will only nurse maybe 6 times in 24 hours. Like yesterday/today... He slept for 8 hours last night, I fed him at 7 and he slept again til 1- so that's only 1 feeding in 14 hours!
    That sounds like my DS when he was that age. I worked like mad about his milk intake too, but I was also thrilled that he was such a good sleeper! He still sleeps that well through the night (almost 5 mo's old now), and other friends with infants are a bit jealous, hehe... I think around that age, my DS nursed anywhere from 6 to 8 times per 24 hours & that hasn't changed much even now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missmari View Post
    I guess I'm not too worried about him getting enough since he's happy, healthy and growing. I was just curious how it compared to others.

Should I really be worried about "sleepy baby" at almost 2 months? I thought that was more of a newborn thing. It's always been my rule to let sleeping babies sleep...

Maybe I should get him weighed this week and not wait 2 weeks for his next well checkup, just to make sure he's still gaining.

Yes, the sleepy baby term generally goes with newborns but the term can also be used with some babies who sleep too much & not gain well up for a few months, too. Again, the "output" in wet/poopie diapers is important. Normally, if baby is gaining well and is also sleepy, then baby should be woken up about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It all depends on that output and being a "healthy, happy, growing baby," as you mentioned.

During the first few months, especially, if there are any concerns, seeing the ped can be positive.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommylim View Post
    My DD is 7 wks old tomorrow. We nurse about every 2.5 hrs during the day, then around 10, she'll either cluster feed for another two hours or she'll just go down for the night. Then she'll go 3-5 hr stretches between nursings and then we wake up around 7:30 am to start the new day.

It used to take us only 15-20 minutes total each nursing session, but for some reason, lately (for the past week), she's become a really lazy nurser, too and it's been taking an hour to nurse each time b/c she doesn't seem to want the big & fast feeds anymore. I am practically forcing the nipple on her to keep her nursing! The concerning thing is that her diaper output is not as good, either... ? The LC/LLL leader doesn't seem to be worried, but she left me her weight scale just to put my mind at ease. My DD has barely gained 1 oz in 3 days. Is this okay???

Any way to fix the lazy nursing? I'm already doing breast compressions and doing everything to keep her somewhat awake enough to suck a little anyway.
    Great questions! Maybe you should start a new thread so that you'll get more replies.
    Carla
    LLL Leader