Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often does your infant nurse>

Default How often does your infant nurse>

Out of curiosity, how often or how many times a day do you nurse your infant?

I have no concerns that my son (7 weeks) isn't eating enough- he doubled his birth weight by 6 weeks and always has enough wet/dirty diapers.

I always feed on demand, but there are some days where he will only nurse maybe 6 times in 24 hours. Like yesterday/today... He slept for 8 hours last night, I fed him at 7 and he slept again til 1- so that's only 1 feeding in 14 hours!

I guess every child is unique, but this is very strange to me since my older son nursed like crazy both day and night. I just can't imagine that he's getting that much milk at each session that he can go so long in between...
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Default Re: How often does your infant nurse>

my little man nurses every hour and a half during the day and at night sometimes he sleeps from 12-5/6 but usually he wakes every 3 hours during the night.

My 8 weeker nurses pretty erratically (sp?) it's some here and some there and then more here and more there.. y/k? the frequency increases as the day progresses ...

I'd just watch his diapers and make sure his weight gain stays steady to be sure he's getting enough
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My little guy has an all over the place feeding schedule (his own not mine). He sleeps from about 1030 pm to about 300 am, eats, goes back to sleep till about 600 am, eats, sleeps again till between 8 or 9 then he eats every 1.5 hours while awake. He does take about 3 45-60 min naps during the day. Then he cluster feeds from about 600 pm till he falls asleep. Wow, I can't believe I know that by heart. He's 2 mos. now.

I remember the LC's in the hospital told me when monitoring their feedings and diapers to always go back 24 hrs. and count. Hope that helps.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

My dd nurses about 7 times a day or every three hours or so.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My baby is 6 months. We usually nurse 4x/day: 7:30 am, 12 noon, 4 pm, and 6 pm. Sometimes he gets up once in the night...not usually anymore. He only nursed 5-6x/day even in the beginning. I think some women have a greater storage capacity. I know that my sister-in-law can take an hour to pump 4 oz. Whereas, if I am away from baby for a feeding, I can pump 8 oz. in 10 min.!!! So she does lots of small meals, and I do fewer but bigger meals. Get it?
    Amy
    Mom to Lewis John 6-26-08, Irene Grace 3-22-10, and Malcolm Thomas 2-6-12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylewis View Post
    My baby is 6 months. We usually nurse 4x/day: 7:30 am, 12 noon, 4 pm, and 6 pm. Sometimes he gets up once in the night...not usually anymore. He only nursed 5-6x/day even in the beginning. I think some women have a greater storage capacity. I know that my sister-in-law can take an hour to pump 4 oz. Whereas, if I am away from baby for a feeding, I can pump 8 oz. in 10 min.!!! So she does lots of small meals, and I do fewer but bigger meals. Get it?
    I guess that's true- this morning I pumped one side for storage and I filled two 4 ounce bottles with just the one side. So maye he just eats more but less often.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Every...two...hours...round...the...clock...zzzzz.

Although she's a very "healthy" 17 lbs as of yesterday (12 weeks)!
    Baby Girl born 10/17/08
    birth: 8lb 15 oz
    2 mos: 14 lb 5 oz
    3 mos: 17 lb
    4 mos: 20 lb 1 oz Mama's Milk!!!
    as much as possible at home... at work for my babe

Four months!

My DS is 6 months now and has been feeding 6x per day for months now. It sounds like your lo probably does get more at once because when I pump for 20 min. I am lucky to get 2 oz.
    SAHM to Micah born 6-29-08 and Naomi born 10-17-10.

7-8 times a day usually. At least three of those feeds are at night!

I think there's such a wide range of "normal". And it changes with time as well.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63