Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, baby WON'T eat

Unhappy Please help, baby WON'T eat

Hi mamas, I'm really needing some help right now. My 7 month old has been pretty fussy at the breast lately. Started late last week. Now it's pretty bad. I can hardly get her to even get on at ALL. And she will not take a bottle right now either. I have no clue what to do. She is peeing enough and pooping enough. She started rice cereal last week and has done great with it, no rash. Mama was sick last week so I wonder if she is getting it now? She's also sleeping terribly.

Please help!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Default Re: Please help, baby WON'T eat

could she be teething?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

It seems to me that if she's peeing and pooping enough, then she is eating enough, even if she isn't eating as long as usual. If she weren't taking it in, she wouldn't be putting it out, kwim? Maybe she has gotten mure effecient at emptying the breast so she is finishing faster than you think.

Her fussiness and sleep problems could be that she's getting the cold you had or, like the pp suggested maybe teething. Just keep offering the breast and watch for signs of dehydration just in case- decrease in # wet diapers, dark or strong smelling urine, lethargy, dry lips, no tears when crying.

As always, if you really feel like something is off, talk to her doctor to be sure.

I hope she gets back to 'normal' soon!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Is her nose stuffy at all? DS hated nursing when he was teething or had a cold due to the breathing issues.

I agree that if her diaper output is fine then just keep an eye on it. She's probably getting more effecient and eating more then you think.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Her nose isn't running or really stuffy at all....

I think her gums hurt, but they have hurt her on & off for four months

Yes, she's still peeing & pooping enough. She just screams and arches her back when I try to nurse. Then I let het sit up & she's happy. (as long as she's not nursing)

Expecting #2 early April

So blessed..

Update: She's still not taking "me"..... she will only take a bottle now. She screams/flails when I even bring her near my boobies. So I've been pumping all day and giving her a bottle. I'm just glad she is taking SOMETHING. Agh! I hope this means a TOOTH is about to pop for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expecting #2 early April

So blessed..

You could try giving her something cold to chew on before nursing if you think it's teeth. Like a teether toy or frozen wash cloth. Also, have you tried different positions when you nurse? Maybe there is a certain position that bothers her? I would just keep offering the breast, but don't put stress on it. Is she nursing at night? Maybe she's just tanking up at a certain time & then wants to play?
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Thanks for the help! Yes I am giving her teething rings ans such, she seems to like them. Here's the latest update though: Last night she would not eat from me again. So hubby bottlefed her some bm and she did great. She went to sleep and coughed and cried through the night on and off. I mean really bad sounding coughing! Poor baby! Today she has watery eyes, coughing hard, and a little bit of a runny nose. I put her in the bathroom and took a hot shower (so she could get the steam) and boy did the fluids flow! She coughed, and that nose started running a lot! This morning she woke up bawling at 5am, so I brought her into bed with me and she ate from me Then went back to sleep. Tried that same thing again at 7:30, and it worked on one side. (still in bed with her at the time laying down)

Now she's sort of napping I will try again once she gets up. She must have caught my cold She sounds so awful when she coughs!!!

Expecting #2 early April

So blessed..

Hugs to you all!

Considering the new circumstances, you may want to see what your ped says... could be just a virus, but you can make the call. If babe is teething, sometimes they can get a runny/stuffy nose, feel achey, etc. Maybe feeding from a bottle was easier for her and didn't hurt her mouth as much??

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Update:

She has taken about two full feedings off of me in the past 5 days. She WILL nurse in the middle of the night. Still not sleeping well. Runny nose, not bad though. Coughing some still. She is not pulling at her ears. I thought maybe it was an ear infection but I have no clue what the symptoms of those are in an infant. I don't know what to do, I'm kind of emotional about this! She'll scream, then gnaw on her hand or fingers. But when I try to rub her gummies with my finger, she goes nuts and just bellers.

Help mamas...

Expecting #2 early April

So blessed..