Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should I consider supplementing with vit D?

Default Re: should I consider supplementing with vit D?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla View Post
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=63190

Yes, this is the current recommendations about Vitamin D...

An important statement to consider is this one...

"La Leche League International acknowledges that breastfeeding mothers who have adequate amounts of vitamin D in their bodies can successfully provide enough vitamin D to their children through breastmilk. It is recommended that pregnant and nursing mothers obtain adequate vitamin D or supplement as necessary. Health care providers may recommend that women who are unsure of their vitamin D status undergo a simple blood test before choosing not to supplement."

For instance, in the south, rickets are almost unheard of... but, since you live in a state where you mentioned have really cold seasons and people stay in more, you may want to have your levels tested before deciding to (or not deciding to) supplement your baby. Very often, vitamin supplements are not absorbed in a baby's system as easily and the supplements can cause constipation and other upsets in baby. Definitely something worth discussing with your ped.
    Would it then be considered just as good to supplement mothers with an appropriate amount of Vitamin D instead of babies?...I ask because my LO has a very sensitive system, and I have been supplementing him with Vitamin D but would rather do it the other way around if I could...
    First time mommy to *Sidney Patrick*! 1/13/08
    So lucky to be a SAHM for now
    Married to my DH *Matt*
    *~Makes me soooo happy to be alive~*

Thank you everybody for your advises and support, it is greatly appreciated as always. I've never been checked for vit D level, even though I get my blood work done pretty often because of my thyroid problem. I will definitely ask my ped and see what he says.

I live in New Jersey, and its not as bad as some other places for sure, but winter is winter. She's being taken outside every day weather permitting, but most definitely 3-4 days a week. So I'm doing all I can. Lets see what my ped has to say...

Thanks again!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovesidneyp View Post
    Would it then be considered just as good to supplement mothers with an appropriate amount of Vitamin D instead of babies
    This is something to definitely discuss with your doctor. All we can really do here on the forums is share info.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla View Post
    This is something to definitely discuss with your doctor. All we can really do here on the forums is share info.
    I planned on it. Sid's one year appt. is coming up in less than a week. I'll ask about it then. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything on the topic or not.
    First time mommy to *Sidney Patrick*! 1/13/08
    So lucky to be a SAHM for now
    Married to my DH *Matt*
    *~Makes me soooo happy to be alive~*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovesidneyp View Post
    I planned on it. Sid's one year appt. is coming up in less than a week. I'll ask about it then. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything on the topic or not.
    Good thinking!
    Carla
    LLL Leader