Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I consider supplementing with vit D?

Default should I consider supplementing with vit D?

Hi all!

I was just reading through one thread where moms are talking about supplementing babies with vit D. I always knew its nesessary to do so, I'm from Ukraine and back there, then, it was a must for every baby!
    Now, here, my doc didn't say anuthing about that and I don't know. My mom keeps telling me since the DD was born, on 08/24/08, that I should do it, but i never did. I did take her outside from 4th day every day (unless its raining or snowing) and now she's out for like an hour and at the beginning it was like 3-4 hours a day! Isn't this enough? And if I have to supplement, did we miss something by not doing so from the beginning???

I know those questions are for my doc, but I know you ladies know everything and have lots of experience.

Thanks!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Default Re: should I consider supplementing with vit D?

apparently it isn't necessary. At least this is as per my LL meetings that i attend each month.

A recent statement by LLLI on the subject:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=63190

Media Release:
    La Leche League International Encourages Mothers to Recognize Importance of Vitamin D

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact Information: Jane Crouse, PRManager at llli.org (847) 519-7730, Ext. 271.

(October 16, 2008) Schaumburg, IL - La Leche League International encourages all mothers to recognize the importance of vitamin D to the health of their children. Recent research shows that due to current lifestyles, breastfeeding mothers may not have enough vitamin D in their own bodies to pass to their infants through breastmilk.

In October 2008, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended that infants receive 400 IU a day of vitamin D, beginning in the first few days of life. Children who do not receive enough vitamin D are at risk for rickets and increased risk for infections, autoimmune diseases, cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis.

Vitamin D is mainly acquired through exposure to sunlight and secondarily through food. Research shows that the adoption of indoor lifestyles and the use of sunscreen have seriously depleted vitamin D in most women. The ability to acquire adequate amounts of vitamin D through sunlight depends on skin color and geographic location. Dark-skinned people can require up to six times the amount of sunlight as light-skinned people. People living near the equator can obtain vitamin D for 12 months of the year while those living in northern and southern climates may only absorb vitamin D for six or fewer months of the year.

For many years, La Leche League International has offered the research-based recommendation that exclusively breastfed babies received all the vitamin D necessary through mother’s milk. Health care professionals now have a better understanding of the function of vitamin D and the amounts required, and the newest research shows this is only true when mothers themselves have enough vitamin D. Statistics indicate that a large percentage of women do not have adequate amounts of vitamin D in their bodies.

La Leche League International acknowledges that breastfeeding mothers who have adequate amounts of vitamin D in their bodies can successfully provide enough vitamin D to their children through breastmilk. It is recommended that pregnant and nursing mothers obtain adequate vitamin D or supplement as necessary. Health care providers may recommend that women who are unsure of their vitamin D status undergo a simple blood test before choosing not to supplement.

Parents or health care providers who want more information on rickets, vitamin D in human milk, or other information on breastfeeding issues may call La Leche League International at (847) 519-7730 or visit our Web site at www.llli.org.
    We live in the northern US and I think there is a good chance we don't get enough Vit. D in the winter, so we choose to supplement. I really like the Carlson Labs Baby D-Drops. It's just a tiny tasteless drop you can put on your nipple or mix in other food or drink if appropriate. It gives me some peace of mind without going to the expense of Vit. D testing.

I also heard on public radio that the human body only manufactures Vit. D from sunlight when the UV index is above a certain level, not sure of the number. Vit. D is also fat soluble, I believe, which means it is stored in the body for a period of time-you don't necessarily need exposure every day.

Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We supplement our lo with vitamin D drops per our pediatrician. If you are able to get your lo outside everyday, than this may not be necessary for you. I live in the fridgid midwest, so the only time we're outside is to get into the car. It's way too cold to play outside. When the spring comes, our pedi said just taking her outside everyday will be fine and we can cut out the supplements.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    We supplement our lo with vitamin D drops per our pediatrician. If you are able to get your lo outside everyday, than this may not be necessary for you. I live in the fridgid midwest, so the only time we're outside is to get into the car. It's way too cold to play outside. When the spring comes, our pedi said just taking her outside everyday will be fine and we can cut out the supplements.
    This is exactly what we are doing!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Thank you everybody for your input.
    I live in Northern NJ, so yeah, winter is bad (could definitely be much worse though:-) and we can't go outside every single day, but at least 3-4 times a week she's out for an hour. I don't know if wneed sunlight or just a daylight (I think we do need a sunlight, even though I'm trying to calm myself) and it's not always there. And now I'm soooooo worried that we missed 4.5 months already! And my ped didn't say anything about vit D... If that wouldn't be because of my mom I wouldn't even think about it (I though my ped would tell me all nesessary things)! When I was pregnant, of course, I took prenatal vitamins, and I was outside for a walk almost every day! I though it was enough, now I am not that sure...

I will ask my ped, but I'm 99% sure he'll say not to and my DH always is on our ped's side, not because he thinks the per is a genious, but because "if you choose this or that doctor, then you better do what he says, if you don't trust him, change the doctor"-as per my DH. So idk
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Oh, don't feel bad that you didn't supplement earlier! Most pedis (IMO) push too MUCH supplementation (iron, other stuff that full term healthy babies don't need extra of), which has its own problems. If it were me, I'd tell my pedi what the AAP and LLLI recommendations are and see what s/he has to say.

Your LO may very well be getting enough Vit. D. I didn't supplement either of my older LOs and they didn't get rickets or anything. Many people choose not to supplement with Vit. D.
    Last edited by @llli*mollyb; January 8th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Vitimen D is very important, but you don`t necessarily have to supplement with a vitimin as pp already mentioned. If you are worried, just pick some up this week and start now - it is never too late
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    Oh, don't feel bad that you didn't supplement earlier! Most pedis (IMO) push too MUCH supplementation (iron, other stuff that full term healthy babies don't need extra of), which has its own problems. If it were me, I'd tell my pedi was the AAP and LLLI recommendations are and see what s/he has to say.

Your LO may very well be getting enough Vit. D. I didn't supplement either of my older LOs and they didn't get rickets or anything. Many people choose not to supplement with Vit. D.
    Definetly use only vitamin D. Our peditrician suggested using only D also. My friends pedi reccomended using polyvisol which has a ton of extra stuff that your baby doesn't need because they get it from breastmilk.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=63190

Yes, this is the current recommendations about Vitamin D...

An important statement to consider is this one...

"La Leche League International acknowledges that breastfeeding mothers who have adequate amounts of vitamin D in their bodies can successfully provide enough vitamin D to their children through breastmilk. It is recommended that pregnant and nursing mothers obtain adequate vitamin D or supplement as necessary. Health care providers may recommend that women who are unsure of their vitamin D status undergo a simple blood test before choosing not to supplement."

For instance, in the south, rickets are almost unheard of... but, since you live in a state where you mentioned have really cold seasons and people stay in more, you may want to have your levels tested before deciding to (or not deciding to) supplement your baby. Very often, vitamin supplements are not absorbed in a baby's system as easily and the supplements can cause constipation and other upsets in baby. Definitely something worth discussing with your ped.
    Carla
    LLL Leader