Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions on Oversupply, Pumping, Block Feeding...

Default Questions on Oversupply, Pumping, Block Feeding...

OK, so we have an oversupply issue here and I have been block feeding on a four hour turnaround and that seems to keep things generally under control. I have two questions:

1. What do I do when DS sleeps through a whole block of four hours? This happens every few days. I ignored the missed block - so if he nursed on the left at 11:00 and wakes up at 4:00, I give him the right. But by 8:00, my left is really uncomfortable. Is there a better way to handle this?

2. I have to build up a stash of frozen milk for when I go back to school in a couple weeks, but I don't want to exacerbate the oversupply issue. How much can I pump every day without causing more problems? One time I pumped unused breast when he slept through a block, and that relieved the discomfort, but I understand that is likely to make the oversupply worse.

Thanks!

Default Re: Questions on Oversupply, Pumping, Block Feeding...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bouse View Post
    OK, so we have an oversupply issue here and I have been block feeding on a four hour turnaround and that seems to keep things generally under control. I have two questions:

1. What do I do when DS sleeps through a whole block of four hours? This happens every few days. I ignored the missed block - so if he nursed on the left at 11:00 and wakes up at 4:00, I give him the right. But by 8:00, my left is really uncomfortable. Is there a better way to handle this?

2. I have to build up a stash of frozen milk for when I go back to school in a couple weeks, but I don't want to exacerbate the oversupply issue. How much can I pump every day without causing more problems? One time I pumped unused breast when he slept through a block, and that relieved the discomfort, but I understand that is likely to make the oversupply worse.

Thanks!
    I think it would be ok to pump the unused breast if you aren't feeding from it at all during the scheduled block. The problem for me was when I was pumping and feeding during a block, my breasts just went crazy and made tons! You might do better with counting how many times you feed from a breast rather than doing blocks, there was a good post by francis.breadandjam about that and I can't find it....here it is http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=64734. I hope that helps a little!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Abby's mom had a great idea to start building your stash by pumping the missed breast during your block feeding schedule. I've also heard of mothers who will pump the breast that's not being used at each feeding to build a stash. They think of the pump as a second baby--a lot less cute and cuddly twin!--- and "feed" the pump like they would a second baby. that might not be a viable option for you, though, since oversupply is an issue.

I guess my questions would be how much do you want to stash and why? Lots of mothers never really have much of a stash---they just pump what they need for the next day. I think that mothers who are able to do this have plentiful supplies, so they don't need a back-up in case of low output one day.

There's a pumping forum here that would be a great resource. I'm sure there are more mothers who have pumped while managing oversupply and that's probably a good place to find them!
    Nicole

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLNicole View Post

I guess my questions would be how much do you want to stash and why? Lots of mothers never really have much of a stash---they just pump what they need for the next day. I think that mothers who are able to do this have plentiful supplies, so they don't need a back-up in case of low output one day.
    I need to pump enough for him to have the first day. Also, I don't get that much when I pump, despite the oversupply. Pumping just doesn't produce as much as nursing, so I am concerned that I won't be able to pump enough for the next day while I am gone each day and that I should be pumping a little extra on my days off to make up for it.
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

Hot showers. If he is sleeping and you need relief a shower can prompt some milk to empty and make the breast feel much better. Also, manual hand expression can release some without exacerbating the problem -- you just don't want to empty the breast fully. This has been my experience anyway.

Thanks!
    I suppose this varies for person to person. But if you keep the pumps short -- say 10 mins max (and definitely don't pump once the breast appears empty) -- and not frequent (one short session a day), you should have a nice little stash in no time. Just an idea anyway!
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

Smile Re: Questions on Oversupply, Pumping, Block Feeding...

[QUOTE=@llli*katholicchik;642856]Hot showers. If he is sleeping and you need relief a shower can prompt some milk to empty and make the breast feel much better. Also, manual hand expression can release some without exacerbating the problem -- you just don't want to empty the breast fully. This has been my experience anyway.

Definately agree both of these things really helped me out ALOT when block feeding and needed relief, just so long as you aren't emptying the breast you'll be fine! Just to relieve some pressure!! Goodluck!!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10