Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bottlefed daughter latched on using a nipple shield!!!

Default My bottlefed daughter latched on using a nipple shield!!!

I posted the thread about how to get my 5 month on back on the breast about 3 weeks ago. Well about an hour ago I tried the nipple shield and she latched on!!! (for about 5 min) Yea!!!! I know there is much debate about using nipple shields but this is a start.

I have been exclusively pumping since she was 6 weeks because I introduced the bottle and she refused the breast. I would love to bf exclusively again!!!

Has anyone used nipple shields before? And am I doing the right thing by using them? What are the dissadvantages by using them?
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Default Re: My bottlefed daughter latched on using a nipple shield!!!

sounds like your making progress!!!

good job on pumping thats awesome!

and i dont know much about nipple shields but i think they can lower your supply but thats only if your using one exclusively, i think you should be fine hopefully someone else will come along with a better answer
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

On congrats! I recently got DS to latch on and how awesome does that feel?! I haven't used a bottle in a week! I was an EPer too. How draining is that?! I am soo happy for you. Sorry I don't have any advice about the shields. I always looked at them in the store and was going to try them, but now I don't need to. Now I just have OS from all o the pumping I did! Never can win them all can we? Keep up the great work and hang in there.

One of the Moms in our local LLL group used a nipple shield until her DD weaned. She didn't have any problems with it, her DD just wouldn't latch on W/O it. I only used one for a few weeks with a preemie until she was big enough to nurse without it, so I personally don't know anything about long term use of one, but I know how good it feels to not have to pump anymore! Congrats for getting baby onto the breast and good luck!
    BTW Medella makes a shield that allows for some skin-to-skin contact maybe this would help?
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

One of the Moms in our local LLL group used a nipple shield until her DD weaned. She didn't have any problems with it, her DD just wouldn't latch on W/O it. I only used one for a few weeks with a preemie until she was big enough to nurse without it, so I personally don't know anything about long term use of one, but I know how good it feels to not have to pump anymore! Congrats for getting baby onto the breast and good luck!
    BTW Medella makes a shield that allows for some skin-to-skin contact maybe this would help?
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Congratulations - that is awesome! Here is a link about nipple shields that might help... http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Hi, there! Congratulations!!

Sounds like you both have come a long way! What an exciting feeling! Are you working with an experienced LC or LLL Leader? Nipple shields should only be used with the guidance of a lactation professional since they can lead to problems if not used properly. So, you may want to make it a clear path for you and your baby from this point on, too.

With some nipple shields, the baby isn't able to press on any of the milk sinuses, not only affecting mom's milk supply, but making mom sore and possibly causing some nipple damage. The amount of milk baby is able to take in can also be very much reduced, making it hard for baby to gain weight.

Sometimes, a nipple shield can "mask" the initial breastfeeding obstacle and when mom weans from the shield, the same problem will persist. This is another reason working with an LC to overcome whatever obstacle it was that had you begin with a nipple shield in the first place in very important... one-to-one help is important.

When there is pain involved in breastfeeding at any stage, latch-on should be reviewed, even with the most experienced breastfeeding mom. If a mother is using a nipple shield & there is still pain, another issue has come up or the initial one hasn't been corrected.

Offering small amounts of expressed milk at the breast can act as a reward for some babies who might need some extra encouragement to breastfeed well. Using an eyedropper, syringe, or spoon to drip milk onto the breast while baby is nursing can be helpful.

You may find that more skin-to skin contact really helpful for both of you. Warm baths together are also a great way to bond & both of you can relax before trying to nurse w/o the shield. Sometimes it's a little easier if mom's let-down passes, the shield is removed & then baby is transferred to the breast.

It can sometimes be difficult to to wean from a nipple shield but, with patience, it can be done and a wonderful breastfeeding relationship is able to continue. Hang in there!

It may take some extra time & patience, but you can do it! There are some other ideas out there, so let us know how things progress. Take what works for you & leave what doesn't. You know your baby best!

Do you know about the breast "nipple sandwich" technique? Not sure if this might be another idea for you??

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thank you so much for the advice! What is the nipple sandwhich?

I have been working with my LC and nothing seemed to work. I have tried everything you have advised and that didn't help. She has latched in the past with the shield but it didn't last long. I had gotten fed up with everything not working that I pulled out the shield and she latch on 3 times tonight! I can hear her swallow and my breast feel very soft so I know that she is taking plenty.

I know the nipple shield isn't the best idea but it seemed like it was my best bet. Again, what is the nipple sandwhich?
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Thumbs up Re: My bottlefed daughter latched on using a nipple shield!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilliebelle View Post
    Thank you so much for the advice! What is the nipple sandwhich?

I have been working with my LC and nothing seemed to work. I have tried everything you have advised and that didn't help. She has latched in the past with the shield but it didn't last long. I had gotten fed up with everything not working that I pulled out the shield and she latch on 3 times tonight! I can hear her swallow and my breast feel very soft so I know that she is taking plenty.

I know the nipple shield isn't the best idea but it seemed like it was my best bet. Again, what is the nipple sandwhich?

Yey! How awesome is that!?!?!?!?!?! I have hope for my DD! Best of luck to yall--and WHAT is a nipple sandwich? That brings odd images to my mind.
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

That's awesome! No advice just wanted to offer congrats!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09