Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking antibiotics, do I need to take anything else to prevent thrush?

Default Taking antibiotics, do I need to take anything else to prevent thrush?

I am taking antibiotics right now and was wondering if I should be doing anything differently or taking anything else to prevent thrush? Thanks!

Default Re: Taking antibiotics, do I need to take anything else to prevent thrush?

You could try taking a probiotic: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Taking antibiotics, do I need to take anything else to prevent thrush?

The probiotics are supposed to help. Also, eating yogurt (preferably a kind with very little or no added sugar) and minimizing sugar in your diet in general is supposed to help.

Good luck! Just watch yourself and your lo closely for signs of thrush so if you do start to get it you can start treating it early and nip it in the bud.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

-Probiotic supplement

-Yogurt-plain is best, I usually mash a little banana in it for some flavor

-GSE(grapefruitseed extract) is a great yeast killer and safe while nursing. You can get it at health food stores. It is very bitter though and is recommended to put it in juice or water. I always get the empty "0" capsules and put the dosage in those and take with a glass of water instead of drinking it in the water itself.

A vinegar & water solution rinse after each nursing (& even going to the bathroom ) can work wonders, too. The other suggestions are great, too.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader