Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block feeding help please

Default Block feeding help please

So I have posted a few times n the milk production section, but noticed a lot more people hanging around here so don't punish me for posting here. I'm pretty new here and need some help. I was an EPer and have done so since Oct. So my LO is just over 8 wks. I was on an EPing forum for quite a while now and their goal was to get me not to droppumps or anything until 12 wks. Well in the mean time LO has learned to latch on. YAY! So now I don't want to pump anymore. Ok, so I knew that when I was pumping that I made waay more than he eats. I would get around 40-60 oz a day. It seemed like I got more when I dropped down to 6 pumps a day. What gives. Well anyway, I have around 600 oz in deep freeze and don't really [I]need[I] any more. So I wanted to lower my supply. I didn't want to wait until 12 wks. So I read about over supply and OALD which I believe is a byproduct of my OS. LO has most of the signs. I leak like crazy and am sorely engorged. I could use some advice. My real concern is mastitis. I have had blocked ducts that I could get rid of easily in the past, but I fear that since I get sooo engorged on each side that I will cause harm. I go by feedings and not really hours. Not unless LO cluster feeds then I go by hours. So it is like 11am left side and again at 1:45p and then at 6 and 9pm on the right. So realistically it's 8-10 hours in between. Is that crazy? Should I be doing less? I really want to get this under control and will do just about anything. I have a wedding to go to the 30th and don't want to deal with this there if at all possible. And I'm in pain all of the time and go through bazillions of pads and LO doesn't like it either. I run to the sink every time I feel tingly. Which is quite often. Ugh. I should have just kept EPing. I was doing ok that way. Just felt like a cow...literally. Sorry this is so long.

Default Re: Block feeding help please

I hope you don't mind, I brought my post and your post over from your other thread. I am sure the ladies here will have good advice for you.

monika.h:

Block feeding is totally the way to go. The protocol here is to start with an interval you think you can manage. Then do this for a full 4-7 days before making another change. You could do a time interval, such as 4 hours. Or you could do feedings, such as 2 feedings in a row. I always preferred using time-intervals, myself. I found the best results if I wrote everything down and was strict about the time intervals, night and day. I found that the best time interval was one where I switched over before I got really really full on the other side. Either way, you need to wait at least 4-7 days before making any new changes. Pump 'to comfort' only. Keep a record of how much milk you are pumping each day so you can monitor your progress. It will happen!

There are options other than block feeding. These include drinking 3 cups of sage tea/day (steep 1 Tbsp of fresh whole leaf dried herb in 1 cup of boiling water 15 minutes), cabbage leaf compresses. Another option is to go on a 4-7 day course of low-dose oral contraceptive pills with estrogen and progesterone. (This is from the Breastfeeding Answer Book, page 127)

Kellymom also has a page on oversupply here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fa...down.html#help

chellebelle:

Ok, so I have stopped using the Symphony. I have only used the hand pump once and expressed about 2 oz. I can live with the pain, it's the leaking. I thought expressing would help that. I guess not. So I have resorted to just leaking into the sink or towels. Cheaper than wasting all of my breast pads. Now my schedule for BFing is as follows:6pm Left side, 8:30pm L, 10:30pm R, 3:15am R, 7:30am L, 9:30am L, 11am L, 1pm R, 5:15 R, 7:45pm L 1:30am L, 4:30am R, 7:30am R, 11am L and 1:45p L. So do you think these blocks look ok or do you think the time between switches is too long? Cuz sometimes it's like 8 hrs. If I used the L one lastly at 11am and then don't go back to it until 7:45pm. Ya know? I just really want to get this under control. I've also been using the ontop method of BFing. Like cradle hold, but DS laying on my belly while I'm on my back or reclined. That works, but feel like he's a little smothered. He always tries to turn his head to the side which pulls on my nipple. So now I just try to leak a little into towel and then feed him. Which helps, but he still clicks a lot. And recently he's been getting fussy and pulling away from breast and then rooting for it and repeat. So I try to burp him every 5 min cz maybe he's gassy. He sure is farty. Not sure if that is related. Better out than in, huh?! Now I hope this works because I swear I posted earlier and it's gone. And it was a long one too.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

8-10 hour blocks are just fine. Some women find they need to do 12 hour blocks. I know you are in a hurry to get this under control for 2 reasons: #1 your LO is probably bothered by your oversupply and #2 you have this wedding coming up.

But still, I caution you not to push things too much. This is going to take time, but you do not want to get sick in the process. You should be pumping 'to comfort', this is proven to reduce your risk of mastitis. If you are in pain, you are at risk for plugged ducts and mastitis, which is nasty. I am sure that you will soon see results no matter if you do, as you have basically enough milk for 2 babies right now! Forget the pads for now, just use towels!
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 8th, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I always did the eating intervals. DS would get one breast for 3 really good feedings before he got the other breast. When I felt engorged I would hand compress to feel better but not increase production. I noticed DS stopped gagging etc after about a week and had my supply under control after a month. Keep in mind it got better everyday so it wasn't like it took an entire month for things to get better. My supply was crazy too, I could pump 5 oz per breast after DS had eaten for 30 minutes.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thanks! Think I woke up with a few plugged ducts and am very tender. I will keep up with the times that I have been. Oh yeh, and washclothes it is. DH gave me enough weird looks last night, but too bad. I get let downs constantly. DS is a trooper. Although, he's developing a shallow latch I think, or sliding down. I have to keep fixing the latch. Sohow much is too much to express? Last night I was massaging where I thought I had plugs and ended up getting out around 3-4 oz. That was only one side. And if u add up what I leak into towels. Hmm. Is it bad to use ice packs?

The shallow latch is probably baby trying to compensate for to much milk. my son did this. have you tried a symetrical latch? That might help. Also it will likely get better when you get your supply under control.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Not sure what you mean by symetrical latch, but would maybe try that. Yeh, it feels like he's chompin down. Yikes. So I try to move him right away. Well move us. LOL. Him on top works pretty good, although not perfect. He still gulps and I can hear him sucking in air, but burp him a lot due to this.

latching clips on the right
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

I love Jack Newman. I stumbled across him a while back and was very intrigued. So my question today is how do I know when this is working? Like today is the first day that I got to see my spray. I got it all over DS face. Like I was in such shock over this sight I just sat there for a couple seconds and shot him in the face. Oops. And I accidentally forgot to write down which side I was so I think I got out of rotation. How bad is that? And I am trying to comfort pump a little. TTYL!

I had the same problems as you due to my pumping in the begining.
    I had OALD, over supply, AND formilk/hindmilk problems.

I had to do the side lying position to help not choke my DD, do three feedings on one breast then switch and repeat three feedings...etc, and i had to do breast compressions so that my LO got the hindmilk. I did all this for two weeks straight.

I wasn't sure what signs to watch for to know it was ok to stop and return to normal BFing. So after two weeks I just tried to feed her normal and she didn't choke. i would just try to feed normall y after one week, if it isn't better then wait another week and try again, if its not better i would wait and try it normal every three days until you notice the problems are gonne

Good luck!!!
    Darling Daughter Tessa born Sept 8th 2008 at 39 wks weighing 4lbs 13oz