Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Weaning

Default Night Weaning

I am going to night wean. DD is 10 month in about a week and a half. She wakes up 6-9 times a night. We've done everything we can possibly think of. I'm fed up and exhausted. I KNOW night weaning does not guarantee she'll STTN so no lectures! I just want DH to be able to help. I want him to be able to do something more than get her out of bed and hand her to me. She is so dependant on the breast she will not go to sleep any other way (at night).
    What I don't know is how to do it. At this age does she need at least one feeding still? I could pump and give her a bottle (or have DH give her a bottle!). Can I give her water whenever she wakes. Or do I just refuse to let her nurse? At least that way even if she's waking 9 times a night I don't have to get up for all of them.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Night Weaning

I'm sorry you're still having problems. We are trying to hang in there too with our issues. I have heard a lot of moms on here talk about Dr. Jay Gordon's method, which is a gentler non-CIO method of night-weaning. I don't know the exact website but I'm sure you could google it and find it easily. I know another mama will come along and provide you with more info on this.

And, again, just wanted to see if you've also looked into the possible medical causes of nightwaking, like reflux and food allergies... waking 9 times per night is like every hour or so .... I'm sure you're on top of this and have done everything possible to help your situation. Good luck!

The Jay Gordon method is outlined in this article. He doesn't recommend it for babies under a year, but it is a fairly gentle method and it worked for me (albeit my daughter was 18-19 months when I started). I didn't follow his timeline very strictly, it took us more like 2 months or so to completely night wean.

Another resource you might want to look into is Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution." She also has gentle methods for encouraging baby to sleep or go back to sleep wihtout nursing.

Good luck, mama. I hope you find something that works for you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When DD was between 10-12mos old she was waking 3-4x a night and like you I was exhausted and burnt out. I think a lot of her night waking was do to major milestone developments (pulling up, walking) and teething. Oh the teething. So I was hesitant to completely night wean her but knew I HAD to do something if I were to be able to function as a wife, mother, and employee. So I started sending DH in to get her for 1 or 2 of the wake ups. He'd take her into our guest room (where we put a toddler rail on the bed) and would cuddle her until she fell back to sleep. The first few times she protested quite a bit. But she got used to it and did rather well. By around 13 mos, once she mastered walking and stopped teething (momentarily...we are now working on I teeth), she had cut back the night waking to 2x's a night. By 15mos we were down to 1x a night...usually around 3 or 4am...which I can totally tolerate nursing her during. For the past couple of weeks she's been back to 2 wakings (those darn teeth again) and DH goes in for the first one at 11pm cause I know she's not hungry and I still do the 3am wake up.

So, while not entirely night weaned this schedule is MUCH more manageable. DH is great at doing his part and because I'm getting more sleep I'm happier and healthier. I didn't need to pump and DD didn't need a bottle. She just need some comfort and she grew to accept it from DH.

HTH. Good luck mama!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Thanks ladies. Last night DD was up late (again) this kid is a night owl. At 10 I started insisting she sleep. We rocked, nursed walked her for two hours (Dh and I taking turns). Finally we gave up. I 'milked her up' and went to bed DH watched her - I don't know what he did but I am pretty sure he let her play. He said she finally went down around 1 and she slept until 5:30!!! (not really yikes more like shock) That's a 4.5 hour stretch! It was on time, but DH put her down not me and she slept for ages. I nursed her at 5:30 when she woke and guess what - between 5:30 and 9:30 when we got up for the day she nursed 4 times!!! That's gotta mean something! If nothing else it's encouraged me to try this night weaning thing seriously.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

wondering how the night weaning is going
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet