Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to give baby in bottle?

Default How much to give baby in bottle?

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my 6 week old since birth and just went back to work. She has been nursing 8 times a day for 15 minutes a side and her weight gain has been fine. She seems satisfied all day. I had never pumped a full feeding until yesterday to see how much she actually gets from me. We started her out on a bottle and she got 1.75 ounces per feeding every three hours yesterday. When I got home I nursed her and she spit up immediately after both breasts, and three more times before her next feeding. She was also fussy and gassy all evening. It seemed like she was over full so today we gave her 1 oz feedings from the bottle and she has been fine. I found out from pumping at work that I only produce on average 0.5-1 oz per every three hours. Does this sound unusually low? I don't want to underfeed on the bottle, but I don't want her spitting up and gassy like she was yesterday either.

Default Re: How much to give baby in bottle?

Take your daughter's weight in kilograms and multiply that number by six. That is the number of ounces your daughter needs in a day. To calculate the average needed at each feeding, divide the total by however many times DD eats in a day.

1 pound = 0.45359237 kilograms

Hope this helps, and good luck!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Can you try a slower-flow nipple or a different bottle? Perhaps she also needs to be fed in a more upright position. 2 bottles I've heard good things about are the BreastFlow bottle and the Adiri Natural Nurser. These pages might help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b...s-pumping.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I agree that the bottle/nipple might be the problem. I used Born Free glass bottles (I am not a fan of plastics) that have a little system inserted to slow down milk flow, and DS does really well on them!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tspeegle09 View Post
    Take your daughter's weight in kilograms and multiply that number by six. That is the number of ounces your daughter needs in a day. To calculate the average needed at each feeding, divide the total by however many times DD eats in a day.

1 pound = 0.45359237 kilograms

Hope this helps, and good luck!!
    Sorry
    But I did this calculation and it comes out that my LO need 8.7 oz. per feeding! Is this right? I nurse him 2x a day and he gets 3 bottles when I am at work. He is 16 lbs, almost 6 months and (somewhat) STTN. I give him about 5 oz. in each bottle for DCP.