Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supplementing mom with Vit D instead of baby

Default supplementing mom with Vit D instead of baby

Is this considered as full-proof as directly supplementing your LO if you take a high enough dose?
    First time mommy to *Sidney Patrick*! 1/13/08
    So lucky to be a SAHM for now
    Married to my DH *Matt*
    *~Makes me soooo happy to be alive~*

Default Re: supplementing mom with Vit D instead of baby

Hi! How about reading:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

I was born in Ukraine, and so was my first daughter, and there (at least then) it was a muct to supplement every baby with vitamin D. Here doctors say its not needed, only in rare cases... Thats all I know.
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

I just don't think there's any way to know if your lo a getting enough through your milk. The Canadian Pediatric Society recommends 400 iu/day for infants and 2,000 iu/day for of and bf women. We're understanding more about vitamin D now, and it appears that many of us (who do not live in sunny climes), are very deficient.

Toxicity is reached after months of supplementing at 1,000 times the recommended dose, so that's not so much an issue.

We use the Baby D Drops. One drop, once per day right on the nipple. It's colourless, tasteless and DD doesn't even notice it!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thank you both. I have been supplementing DS with vitamin D drops but was wondering whether or not supplementing myself would work just as well since his system is so sensitive. But since we don't know how much goes through our milk I'll stick with giving him the drops.
    Married to my DH *Matt*

I have the Poly*Vi*Sol by Enfamil and used to put them in DS bottle, but now that he latches on do I just put them in his mouth? It smells horrible and would bet he spits it out. Hmm. I've heard so many contradicting statements about if they are needed or not. Better safe than sorry I guess.

LLL says that if the mother of an EBF baby has enough vit D baby will get enough. So, you might just have your levels tested if you don't want to supplement baby. Here is their most recent press release on Vitamin D.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLRenee View Post
    LLL says that if the mother of an EBF baby has enough vit D baby will get enough. So, you might just have your levels tested if you don't want to supplement baby. Here is their most recent press release on Vitamin D.
    Thank you. That is the information I was looking for.
    Married to my DH *Matt*

I'm in Ontario. I know I'm not getting enough Vitamin D. I don't get outside enough in this cold weather with the baby.

The Canadian Cancer Society recommends:
    The Canadian Cancer Society is recommending a specific amount of Vitamin D supplementation for Canadians to consider taking. This first-time recommendation is based on the growing body of evidence about the link between Vitamin D and reducing risk for colorectal, breast and prostate cancers....

In consultation with their healthcare provider, the Society is recommending that:
    * Adults living in Canada should consider taking Vitamin D supplementation of 1,000 international units (IU) a day during the fall and winter.
    * Adults at higher risk of having lower Vitamin D levels should consider taking Vitamin D supplementation of 1,000 IU/day all year round. This includes people:
    * who are older;
    * with dark skin;
    * who don’t go outside often, and
    * who wear clothing that covers most of their skin.
    “We’re recommending 1,000 IUs daily because the current evidence suggests this amount will help reduce cancer risk with the least potential for harm,” says Logan. “More research is needed to clearly define the amount of Vitamin D that will maximize health benefits.”
    Logan explains that Canada’s geographic location was a strong factor in the Society’s decision making about the recommendation.
    I don't get out enough and I wear clothing that covers most of my skin (and I wear sun block) when I am out. There's only 400 IUs in my prenatal vitamin (Materna) so I'm considering getting another vitamin to top this up. Either way, I am giving Vi-Sol-D to LO to ensure that she's getting enough.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and