Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is a healthy weight range for a 6 week old baby?

Default What is a healthy weight range for a 6 week old baby?

DS has gained weight like crazy since he was born (7lbs, 8oz)and is 11lbs, 8oz at six weeks. There is a 12 week old at my nursing group that weighs about that much! Is that ok? Can babies get overweight? Am I feeding him too much? Or just worrying too much?

Where can I find out what percentile his weight and weight gain are in?

Thanks!
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

Default Re: What is a healthy weight range for a 6 week old baby?

are you exclusively breastfeeding? If you are breastfeeding only and feeding on demand, then it's perfectly normal!! breastfed babies RARELY overeat. Also, breastfed babies tend to gain more in the first few months, and level off around 6 months-ish

my ds was born at 7.12 and went down to 7.3 and was slightly over 12 lbs at 6 weeks

Also, don't follow the formula based growth charts. This chart from kellymom is much better at plotting the breastfed baby. Also, keep in mind that the extreme top and bottom of the charts are COMPLETELY normal. Someone has to be at the top and bottom, right?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

My little one was 7.15 at birth, 6.14 lowest, and then 12.6lbs at 6 weeks!!! Perfectly normal. She's 17.6lbs at 5.5 months! She's chubby but I bet she starts slowing down significantly once she starts moving around more.

Don't worry, mama!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

with the previous posts- you can't overfeed a breastfed baby. And- if I've done my metric conversions correctly- you haven't. 11 lbs, 8 oz works out to around 5.3 kilos, which on this World Health Organization chart for breastfed baby boys is between the 50th and 85th percentiles. That's a nice, healthy weight. Good job, Mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He's the perfect weight!

They do slow down in weight gain. DS was born 11 pounds and gained 1 pound/week for many weeks. This is very common for many babies. He is now 9 months and is only gaining 1 oz / week. My friends baby was born 6 pounds and gained 1 pound / week for a while too. DS was probably 15 pounds at 6 weeks.

They usually double their weight around 4-6 months and triple it by 1 year.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 7th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

My oldest was 8.5 at birth and by 4 months she weighed 18 lbs7 oz She was about 26 lbs at a year and now at 5 (Feb 4), she is just under 50 lb. She was always over on the weight chart until about 18 mo? and then she has been about 95% since then, but her length and weight are even.

Mine was over 14lbs at 8 weeks and was 17 lbs yesterday (12 weeks) at the docs. Way over the 95%, but I LOVE her leg rolls!
    Last edited by @llli*aunt.r; January 8th, 2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: clarify age
    Baby Girl born 10/17/08
    birth: 8lb 15 oz
    2 mos: 14 lb 5 oz
    3 mos: 17 lb
    4 mos: 20 lb 1 oz Mama's Milk!!!
    as much as possible at home... at work for my babe

Four months!

i think it also depends on how big the kiddo was at birth too...and the parents...and again, the difference bw formula and bf kids too.

mine was 6 lbs 4 at birth and at 6 mos she was just about 13 lbs. so she doubled but started small. dh and i are not huge people either

hth
    meohmy.magoo