Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 mo. old still cluster feeding in evening

Default 2 mo. old still cluster feeding in evening

My little guy has been cluster feeding in the evenings since about 1 week old. Usually from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. he eats and eats. Luckily he sleeps 4 to 5 hr. stretches at night. I'm concerned because I go back to work in less than 2 weeks and I'll be working from 9a to 930p three days a week. My BF will be home from work to take care of him. Will all that bottle feeding affect my suppy? Will he always continue to cluster feed like this?
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Default Re: 2 mo. old still cluster feeding in evening

You're lo will get through this stage eventually, so try your best to hang in there. BTDT with my 4 month old. It seems like when she was around 2 months old it started to stop.

Are you planning on pumping at work? You will definetly need to pump to maintain your supply and prevent uncomfortable engorgement. I would try to pump every 3 hours at work if that is possible for you.

Keep up the good work mamma, I promise that it gets so much easier.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Oh ya, I'm definetely pumping. Breastmilk only for my baby!!! It's going great so far. I don't mind the cluster feedings but I have to be honest, I hope they chill out soon.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Bump!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Will all that bottle feeding affect my suppy? Will he always continue to cluster feed like this?
    The bottle-feeding will NOT affect your supply as long as you pump the same # of ounces he is getting in the bottle. Your milk supply has been established since he was 4 weeks old. If for some reason your supply does go down, there are ways to bring it back up.

Obviously when you're not there, he won't be able to cluster feed the same. I'm guessing his nursing pattern will also change once you go back to work. Alot of babies start nursing more at night when their moms go back to work. Fortunately you can nurse on demand 4 days a week and that is good. You'll probably have to wait and see what exactly will happen and no doubt you will have more questions to post once the time comes.

As for cluster-feeding in the evening, babies don't cluster feed for 5 hours forever. At least mine stopped doing it. I can't remember what age exactly, maybe around 3/4 months? You might try nursing him/pumping more often in the mornings, I found this had a positive effect on my milk supply in the evening and DS had to cluster feed less in the evening this way. Also try to feed him more often during the day, this might help.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*munchkin937 View Post
    Oh ya, I'm definetely pumping. Breastmilk only for my baby!!! It's going great so far. I don't mind the cluster feedings but I have to be honest, I hope they chill out soon.
    I totally understand. I didn't mind it either, but it was a bit of relief when it stopped.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!