Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 issues: Healing the crack and nipple confusion

Default 2 issues: Healing the crack and nipple confusion

Ok- going back to work on Monday (ewww). Started with the bottle (boo) today. Hoping that pumping instead of nursing will heal this crack that I've had since a couple days after DS was born - so, for about 6 weeks.

I had posted a few days ago in a different thread that the crack no longer hurts. I must have jinxed myself because it's horriblly painful again.

So, I've been nursing only on the right and everytime he's hungry and it's time for the left side, DH has been giving him the bottle and I'm pumping that side.

1. Do you think that will work to heal the crack? (I'm using a Medela Lactina on the most gentle suction).

2. I'm worried about nipple confusion. I tried to feed him after the first bottle and it was like he didn't know what to do at the breast. I don't really have a choice with the bottles because I'm out of the house almost 10 hours come Monday. Do you just push through it and they figure it out eventually? My older son never had problems.

TIA
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Default Re: 2 issues: Healing the crack and nipple confusion

Bump!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missmari View Post
    Ok- going back to work on Monday (ewww). Started with the bottle (boo) today. Hoping that pumping instead of nursing will heal this crack that I've had since a couple days after DS was born - so, for about 6 weeks.

I had posted a few days ago in a different thread that the crack no longer hurts. I must have jinxed myself because it's horriblly painful again.

So, I've been nursing only on the right and everytime he's hungry and it's time for the left side, DH has been giving him the bottle and I'm pumping that side.

1. Do you think that will work to heal the crack? (I'm using a Medela Lactina on the most gentle suction).

2. I'm worried about nipple confusion. I tried to feed him after the first bottle and it was like he didn't know what to do at the breast. I don't really have a choice with the bottles because I'm out of the house almost 10 hours come Monday. Do you just push through it and they figure it out eventually? My older son never had problems.

TIA
    How old is your lo? If they have been nursing for about 4 weeks, you may not have to worry about nipple confusion. Hopefully he will be able to go easily between breast and bottle.

When you pump, you can lubricate the horns with a little bit of olive oil. This will help reduce the friction from the pump and probably help your nipple feel better after pumping.

Putting expressed breast milk on your nipples and letting them airdry will also help.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    How old is your lo? If they have been nursing for about 4 weeks, you may not have to worry about nipple confusion. Hopefully he will be able to go easily between breast and bottle.

When you pump, you can lubricate the horns with a little bit of olive oil. This will help reduce the friction from the pump and probably help your nipple feel better after pumping.

Putting expressed breast milk on your nipples and letting them airdry will also help.
    My son is almost 7 weeks old, so I wasn't expecting the nipple confusion, but it's there. I just got some of the Breastflow bottles and nipples, I'm hoping that will help him going back and forth. So far, not going good with the bottles.

But I can say that pumping instead of letting him nurse is totally healing the crack- I should have done this weeks ago, but I didn't want to introduce a bottle too soon. I've been doing what Kellymom says to do for healing cracks- 1/2 tsp of salt in 8oz water- soak the nipple for 5 minutes after each feeding and air dry, then express some milk and rub it in, air dry again. I've done this about 5 times now and the crack is almost healed. I'm going to keep doing this til it's completely healed- I'm guessing another 2 days.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08