Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LO tried to take breast -- shield ??

Default LO tried to take breast -- shield ??

I wanted to share something that made me REALLY happy.

My almost 4 month old (who is getting the hang of squealing and laughing -- all VERY exciting to a first time mom who never thought we'd make it this far) tried SOOO hard to take the breast yesterday!!!!!
    We were in between her feedings, just hanging out on the couch, she was content and she turned into my shirt. So I lifted it and she tried so hard to get the nipple into her mouth. I could have cried! She couldn't pull it in (she has no suck at all -- cleft palate) and after a full min she got a little mad so I had the paci ready. But she had never tried before. It gives me hope.

So a quick question on shields, should I buy one on the hope that it will be easier for DD to get into her mouth. The nipple is too supple, so will shield help probably? From there I thought I would try to use the SNS threaded through the shield. Sound good to you?
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

Default Re: LO tried to take breast -- shield ??

I cant say I have experience with cleft palates, but it could be worth a shot to try the shield (I do have experience with those). That is so neat that she tried to go to breast for you, and even if you cannot achieve a good latch, your milk supply will benefit from the attempt.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chelseamom View Post
    and even if you cannot achieve a good latch, your milk supply will benefit from the attempt.
    well I guess it couldn't hurt anyway
    pumping sucks
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

You are an amazing mama! That is awesome that she was seeking the breast. What a beautiful moment for you both! Hope all is going well with your LO. Praying for you guys.
    2001 2004 2008

I would definitely give the shield a try! Possibly b/c it's a little longer to begin with than an actual nipple, she maybe wont have to work so hard to draw it into her mouth. Not positive on that, since I have no experience with cleft palate, but hey, anything is worth a shot right?
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamamommy3 View Post
    but hey, anything is worth a shot right?
    true!
    pumping sucks
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamamommy3 View Post
    I would definitely give the shield a try! Possibly b/c it's a little longer to begin with than an actual nipple, she maybe wont have to work so hard to draw it into her mouth. Not positive on that, since I have no experience with cleft palate, but hey, anything is worth a shot right?

good luck mama, make sure you tell us all how it goes okay.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Give the shield a shot! I would reccomend using the Medela Contact Nipple Shield. It allows for more contact between mothers breast and baby's mouth! I'm so happy for you that things are headed in a positive direction!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

How very exciting! It's easy to see you have a positive & loving mindset, too. Are you currently seeing an experienced LC, as well?

Sometimes, a Palatal Obturator can work well to help a newborns with cleft palates. What does your LC or doc feel about one of these?

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Hi, there.

I also wanted to add that... Breastfeeding a baby with a cleft palate is certainly a little more difficult and may take some extra time and patience. How wonderful that all are having lots of skin to skin time.

I'm going to see if we can move this post to another forum so that you can get even more suggestions and experiences from other mothers.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader