Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A Day in the Life of a Seven Week Old...

Default A Day in the Life of a Seven Week Old...

Hello all

I am a first time mama to a 7week DS, and of course, have no idea what I am doing!!

I know I shouldn't try to get my babe into a schedule exactly. I nurse on demand, and love it! But I've read babies like routines, so ....

What kind of "routine" should I be shooting for?

When do most of you put your LOs to nap/ bedtime?

What about playtime?

And do you have particular things u do before putting them to bed?

so far i just do whatever...but yesterday for instance, my DS didn't hardly sleep at all during the day. I think I was playing with him too much and he got overstimulated and kinda fussy. and then today, he woke up about 9 am, nursed, and then napped for a couple hours, nursed, then seemed alert but got fussy when i tried some stimulating play, so has now been napping for another couple hours....

also, just for info...I usually put him down in bouncy/ vibrating chair for daytime sleep, and then the crib in his own room for night. (our bed is way too small for cosleep, and at 2 weeks DS seemed to prefer his own room anyways) he never sleeps long in his crib during the day...

anyways, he is starting to squirm so I suppose I will end this here! thanks
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: A Day in the Life of a Seven Week Old...

I am a first time mama to a 7week DS, and of course, have no idea what I am doing!!
    My babies are 7 years and 9 months and I still have no clue what I"m doing.

I think at 7 weeks, all baby needs is to be nursed, carried around, and held. You can of course play a little bit during diaper changing, but I don't think they need any stimulation other than the people around him. When DS was a newborn, he'd need to go for a nap 1/2 hour after he woke up. He often would be up and play for an hour and back for another nap. I usually just put him down for a nap at the first sign of tiredness.

As for routines, I think its a great idea to have a 'wake up time' every day, you know open the curtains, turn on the radio. Create activity so baby knows its night and day. Going for a walk in the afternoon and having an evening bath is a great routine...probably more for the adults! I don't know if its possible to have a set 'bedtime' at this age. I tried to do a whole bedtime routine ( with DS when he was a newborn, but looking back, I don't think anything formal was necessary for him, but it helped me! We did time in the swing, a quick sponge bath, moisturizer on his body, nursing. He didn't always go to bed right after this, it often took a bit of clustering nursing before he'd finally crash.

A good resource is the No-Cry-Sleep-Solution. It has a chapter on what sort of sleep is normal, how much sleep the different ages need etc., how many naps, signs of fatigue. It also talks about good bedtime routines.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 7th, 2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Congratulations! I have a 15 week old and am working on establishing a routine and good sleep practices that work for my baby at the moment too! I definitely recommend the "No-Cry-Sleep-Solution" book by Elizabeth Pantly. I also got some good ideas from the "Baby Whisperer" book (although some of her stuff I don't agree with, but I think it's just fine to take what you like and leave the rest with any of these topics!)- one of the main things from her is the "EASY" schedule- eat, activity, sleep, then you- that's a good basic routine to encourage good eating, playing and sleeping patterns. Don't stress too much about a routine though at this point- it'll also start to fall into place as he gets a little older, but it is a great time to start planning what you think will work and you want to try over the next few weeks. Continue to have a wonderful time!!

My DS is also 7 weeks old (today, actually). We ahve routines for when he wake sup, when he eats and when he sleeps, but not specific times for them.

For example, everytime before he eats I lay him across my lap, we smile at eachother, I ask hi if he wants to have some milk, then i feed him and rub his back, then i burp him over my shouler, then I change him and then I put him in the sling and go back to my business.

For bed time (which I start after he's nursed for the 3rd time right in a row, that's how I know when as opposed to a clock)- I change him, rub on some lotion, turn down the lights, get his blanket, get into bed, nurse him one more time, put him in his bed sleepy.

I think it's more important to establish a routine for each thing you do rather than a specific time for it.

Also, you may be over stimulating baby. They don't really need to be entertained at this age, but are happy to just check out what's going on.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

[QUOTE=@llli*mom2alexander;642421] the "EASY" schedule- eat, activity, sleep, then you

This sounds like a great routine!!

Thanks everyone for all the input! I am definitely gonna try to better go with the flow, but i just want to make sure I am creating good habits . And I've ordered the no cry sleep solution. Can't wait to start reading!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!