Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Haven't dipped into frozen stash, but it's expiring soon

Default Haven't dipped into frozen stash, but it's expiring soon

I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to pump enough milk for LO while I was at work (I can only pump once), so I started a pretty big freezer stash early on. But between work and my extra session at night, I make just enough for the next day. I know fresh milk is better than frozen, so I'd rather give him the milk from the day before.

But my frozen milk is still sitting up there and will expire within a month. Should I slowly use it and mix it with the fresher milk? Or just let it go...it seems like such a waste though.

Default Re: Haven't dipped into frozen stash, but it's expiring soon

I don't know how you feel about donating or how long it takes. That way it wouldn't be wasted. You worked hard for that precious milk. You could help other babies and mamas.
    2001 2004 2008

If I were you I would give your lo the frozen milk while you are home and while he drinks it you can pump. You will get more from those pumping sessions because it's like a 'missed' session. Then freeze what you pump. I would not throw any away. I had two bags expire on me and I nearly cried
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Coming from someone who struggled with supply...i would say use up your freezer stash before it expires! You don't want to waste milk!!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

Perhaps you could use frozen once or twice a week and fresh the other days. That way you are rotating out the old and in with the new. Or alternatively, let's say your LO gets 3 bottles while you are at work, give 2 fresh and 1 frozen each day. I know that some mamas here will always freeze Friday's pumping and use frozen on Mondays. That way there's always some in and some out.

Also, I'll admit to pushing the envelope a bit on expiration dates. While there's a recommendation, there's no tried and true expiration. I've been known to use frozen that was 5-6 mos old in my side-by-side. I smelled it after it thawed and it didn't smell spoiled and DD drank it without protest. So don't feel you have to trash it all on a given date.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

USE IT! IT's liquid gold, as my DH says.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Definitely use it. I agree with PP, this is breast milk and not a loaf of bread. The "expiration date" is not definite. If it's been frozen well and long then you should be able to go past it. But in any event I'd work it in to the rotation to use it up.

If you can transfer it to a deep freezer, it's good for up to a year, from what I've read--can you do that??

And it's breastmilk--it's precious even if it's been frozen. Your LO will get everything needed from the frozen BM--it's only a hair less awesome than refrigerated BM! Send it w/LO to the sitter's!
    ---Josie

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

BF for 22 mo.

Use the frozen in baked goods!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    Use the frozen in baked goods!
    Seriously?
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.