Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yikes, I think lo is constipated!!! (warning tmi)

Default Yikes, I think lo is constipated!!! (warning tmi)

So I picked up my girl from my mothers house and she said, I saved this for you.... She showed me a diaper with a little hard pellet of brownish poop in it. My mom said she pushed for a long time to get that out Poor girl! I have read that constipation is rare in bf babies....
    She does get one bottle of formula a day and always has. Can she suddenly be sensitive to it? I have been worried about my supply (she doesn't seem satisfied) so I have been taking Fenugreek for a week and two days ago upped my dose from 3 to 4 pills three times a day. Can that be a cause ? The last time she went was a few days ago and it was firmer than usual but not hard and the color was unmistakably green! At least todays pellet was brown/yellow....

She's 4.5 months old and hasn't seemed happy lately. I wonder if she's uncomfortable...ugh.

Any ideas ladies?
    Thanks

Default Re: Yikes, I think lo is constipated!!! (warning tmi)

I don't know about the cause, but if baby's straining, that's definately constipation. Has your mom been feeding her any solids?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

No. Definitely no solids yet. We will see the doctor today anyway so thatsgood but if anyone else has had any experience or insight that would be great.

Could she have a dairy allergy or something? Or maybe an allergy to the formula? It seems like she is getting a very small amount of formula for the iron in it to be constipating her, but I guess it might be a possibility.For relief of the constipation, double check with the Dr., but she is probably old enough that you could give her a little prune juice to help her get regular.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

This is all so weird. I have been eating less dairy and more protein since Im back to healthy eating habits.... and I thought the increased protein would help boost my milk. hmmmm. Really the only things that have changed is the fenugreek and the fact that she's been nursing for less time and is more distracted. This last session she cried while nursing thats never happened before. Poor girl... I wish I could figure it out.

It could the iron in the formula, but I don't see why as she's always had it. One other cause of constipation is low-fluid intake. If she won't nurse more, you could try breastmilk popsicles or spoon-feeding her pumped milk, she might like that.

and I thought the increased protein would help boost my milk.
    What you eat has little effect on the composition of your milk, except for the type of fats that are in it. If your not eating enough calcium for instance, your body will just draw from your bones to get the calcium for the millk.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; January 7th, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.