Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch! What's wrong? :(

Default Ouch! What's wrong? :(

today my right breast started hurting on the bottom right side, and its hard. i seem to be producing more milk then usual. not sure what's wrong...?

Default Re: Ouch! What's wrong? :(

Here's some info on plugged ducts and mastitis. Anything look familiar?

Hope you feel better soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think it may be a clogged duct. Last night I felt like I had a fever, and felt kinda sluggish all day. Thank you so much for the link.
    I've never had any problems before. It hurts really bad!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Here's some info on plugged ducts and mastitis. Anything look familiar?

Hope you feel better soon!
    Sounds like a clogged duct to me too! Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Ugh... Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

Sounds like a plugged duct to me, too.... especially one that could also be headed towards being an infection (aka mastitis). A plugged duct comes on gradually & may shift in location, whereas a breast infection comes on suddenly and is localized & mom usually will get a fever of higher than 101 degrees.

Either way, most moms find it helpful to apply wet (and/or dry) heat to the area & then gently massage from the "back" of the breast to the nipple, while the area is still wam, in firm circular motions. Nursing frequently helps a lot and is often the best thing to do. Laying on a heating pad really helps a lot of moms, too.

Many moms also try some hand expression to help get the flow of milk going before a nursing session... Maybe a quiet place with no distractions. ..

Making sure your baby is latched on well during the entire nursing session... Different positions may help, too. And, of course, extra rest.

Sometimes a mom can get a fever but then if doesn't last more than 24 hours, she can probably bypass the antibiotics. Of course, a call to your doc may be helpful just to make sure, especially if it's the first time happening.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Sounds like a plugged duct. I get them once a week and they really hurt. Sorry you are having one. A hot shower or bath with hand expression before you feed the baby should help. Hope you feel better.

I would also pay attention to anything, such as a bra, purse or sling that might be putting pressure on that area. Under wire bras can often be the culprit. Hope it clears up fast & you get to feeling better!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

I noticed a white dot on my nipple, and I'm guessing that it may have been a milk blister? It came out while nursing, luckily.

are you fealing beter?