Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any of you working moms pump for your kids over 1yo while they are at sitter's?

Default Any of you working moms pump for your kids over 1yo while they are at sitter's?

This is a viable alternative, isn't it, to letting them have cow's milk at 1yo?
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Any of you working moms pump for your kids over 1yo while they are at sitter's?

I pumped until DS was 16 mo old.

At that point I was personally quite happy to stop pumping and IME it made the rest of our breastfeeding relationship more fun / easier.

DS is allergic to cows milk so gets water or soy milk at preschool.

IME - toddlers don't NEED to drink cows milk, its just often an easy & convenient way for them to get things like fat, calcium & vitamin D (if the cows milk is fortified). There are other ways to get that nutrition, especially if the LO is eating other milk products (such as yogurt or cheese). Plus - breastmilk has more grams fat per oz than whole cows milk, so a toddler who is breastfeeding 3 or 4 times a day is getting a wonderful source of nutrition from mom.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: Any of you working moms pump for your kids over 1yo while they are at sitter's?

So you just nursed in the evenings and mornings, then? And during the day, DS just ate normally, but no milk.

I think I'll be happy to stop pumping too, but at the same time, I'm not a big fan of cow's milk. Hormones and such. I give my older son (adopted and came home to America at 9mo, so no BFing at all ) organic whole milk, but even that sometimes makes me cringe.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

I was sending EBM in a sippy cup to preschool and DS wasn't really drinking it. Which made pumping seem pretty futile.

Getting toddler nutritional needs met while being 100% dairy-free is honestly quite tough. Toddlers need about 30-40 grams of fat per day and about 500 mg calcium. Things like cows milk cheese & yogurt are both great sources of that nutrition.

Nursing 3 or 4 times a day goes a long way towards meeting those nutritional needs, but IME you do need other sources of fat, calcium, etc.

Great info on kellymom.com about nutrition for a nursing toddler.

When DS was younger he was nursing a couple times at night, when he woke up, when I picked him up from preschool (right there in the room), and at bedtime. Probably 6 or 8 times a day.

DS night weaned at about 18 mo, and since then we've settled into nursing 3 or 4 times a day: when he wakes up, when he gets home from preschool & bedtime. Weekends he gets one more nursing session cause he nurses before naps at home. DS is currently 30 mo.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Definately! I did it through at least 15 months!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I was sending EBM in a sippy cup to preschool and DS wasn't really drinking it. Which made pumping seem pretty futile.

Getting toddler nutritional needs met while being 100% dairy-free is honestly quite tough. Toddlers need about 30-40 grams of fat per day and about 500 mg calcium. Things like cows milk cheese & yogurt are both great sources of that nutrition.

Nursing 3 or 4 times a day goes a long way towards meeting those nutritional needs, but IME you do need other sources of fat, calcium, etc.

Great info on kellymom.com about nutrition for a nursing toddler.

When DS was younger he was nursing a couple times at night, when he woke up, when I picked him up from preschool (right there in the room), and at bedtime. Probably 6 or 8 times a day.

DS night weaned at about 18 mo, and since then we've settled into nursing 3 or 4 times a day: when he wakes up, when he gets home from preschool & bedtime. Weekends he gets one more nursing session cause he nurses before naps at home. DS is currently 30 mo.

DS is currently 24 months. Not nightweaned but he does not nurse most nights so there is no need for us to go through that process at this point in time. We nurse 3-4 times per day. Once in the am, when we get home from work/daycare, once or twice more before bed. He sort of gets into a routine of definately 3 sessions per day during the week and 5 or 6 on the weekend so I weould average it out to be 4 per day, sometmes more sometimes less.

I too am leary of cow's milk. However, my son's loves it. So I have found a local supplier that I can trust. My father is a farmer (non dairy) and so he asked around and knows that this dairy is all natural and knows the farm and their practices well. With that said, if my son didn't absolutely love a glass of it now and then, we would have no real use for it! We don't keep it in the house often and when we do it's almost like a treat and I can feel much more at ease with giving it to him. I wouldn't rule it out completely but I would research where the milk is coming from.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I stopped pumping around 15mos. DD still nurses for bedtime, once at night, and before her nap on weekends. She isn't getting any cow milk...but lots of cheese and yogurt.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I pumped for my DD for her daycare bottles until she was ~13.5-14 months old. At that point, she moved up to the next older room at daycare where there were no bottles allowed, and she wouldn't really drink milk from a cup, so I took that opportunity to pump wean. When she is at daycare, she drinks *some* whole cow's milk from a sippy and lots of water. Now our nursing relationship is wonderfully easy... She nurses in the morning upon waking, when she gets home from daycare, before bed, and on the weekends she nurses either before or just after her nap. Oh, and if she happens to wake during the night I nurse her back to sleep. It is SOOOO nice to be free of the pump.

As the pp's said, as long as you are still nursing your toddler 3-4 times per day when you are together, there really is no need for additional cow's milk... at my DD's daycare, they are REQUIRED to offer the LO's milk (or occasionally juice) at meals and snacks, and my DD will usually drink a little, but she mostly drinks water when they offer it between meals and snacks.

HTH

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

DS is 13.5mo, and I still pump & send bottles. Not as many as he used to need, but I plan to keep pumping as long as he wants them.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I pumped until DS was 18 months old. Then he started having camel's milk while I was at work. (I live in the Middle East.)
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky