Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schedule for feeding and changing diapers

Default Re: Schedule for feeding and changing diapers

I read that somewhere too. Apparently it is a myth that babies cry bc of a wet or dirty diaper... Hmm...

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Most of the time I changed dd after the nursing, because if I tried to do anything EXCEPT nurse her when she woke up to nurse, it was just a scream fest. She was HUNGRY and didn't care if she was wet or dirty, she just wanted to eat. So I fed her. I knew that it's much harder to feed a dry, screaming baby than a wet, calm baby.

Sometimes she'd be really wet, so I just wrapped her in a blanket so we both wouldn't get wetter and nursed her. On those occasions, I tried to change her in the middle of the nursing session.

On the other hand, when I had to wake her up to nurse her (had to wake her every 3 hours early on, as she was a slow weight gainer and we wanted to get some extra calories in there), changing a wet diaper was a great way to help wake her up. Cold night air on a naked bum is a real system shocker!

So, as others have said, there is no set rule. Just whatever works for your baby--he/she will tell you soon enough what her preference is!

i change my dd before i nurse her. it works best for us. plus, if she's falling asleep at the breast, i don't have to bother her with changing her diaper.

Oh yeah...and I forgot to say that changing a diaper in the middle of feeding is a great way to get them to eat more!!! If they fall asleep at the breast, change a diaper (and they have usually done their pooping), wake them up and relatch. That might work.

And even if lo isn't bothered by a wet diaper, a wet/poopy diaper will cause diaper rash on a sensitive bum. They will inevitably be bothered by the rash.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes