Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schedule for feeding and changing diapers

Default Schedule for feeding and changing diapers

This may be one of the silly questions, but is it best to change a baby a lilttle after a feeding, since they tend to go often...or do you wait for a cry or sign of discomfort?

Thumbs up Re: Schedule for feeding and changing diapers

I always change my baby boy before feeding. This way i avoid sleepy feeding. But i think every baby is different. Ian hates for his diaper to be changed so I just have to guess. Good luck.

Default Re: Schedule for feeding and changing diapers

I always changed DS's diaper before nursing him when he was a newborn. He was eating every 1-2 hrs so his diaper never got so wet that it made him uncomfortable. It also helped if he was going to go down for a "nap" (ha! like he ever really took a nap!) after nursing. That way I didn't wake him up.

Isn't it funny how those "silly" simple questions consume you in the beginning?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

As a newborn we nearly always changed our son after nursing. His gastrocolic reflex was very keen and inevitably he would poop while nursing. Even though he would get sleepy or fall asleep, we didn't want him sleeping in a dirty diaper. A quick, silent change in a dark room usually made it fairly easy to get him back to sleep. After a couple months when this reflex went away, we switched to usually changing him prior to nursing.

I'm w/ the PP. When dd was a newbie I would change her after nursing bc she would poop every time she ate. Now I change her before nursing so when she falls asleep for her nap I don't have to worry abt her laying in poop. Plus, now she is harder to get back asleep than she was before if I wake her to change her diaper. My friend could keep her baby asleep while she changed his diaper, I never can!

My husband would always change ds before nursing. Although he would sometimes poop while nursing, he never seemed bothered by a little poop. Let's face, in the beginning, he wasn't in that diaper for very long... only 2 hours or so. Also, the early poops are a lot less caustic to the skin than they are after solids are added to their diets.

I think the moral of these stories is that you will need to discover what works for you you . How's that for a politically safe answer????

If your baby is sleepy and doesn't want to eat, you will likely have to wake him/her in the beginning every 2-3 hours, and changing a diaper, getting baby naked is a good way to wake them. So...in that case you will want to change baby before a feeding. Unless...

your baby messes during a feeding, then you may have to change after. Or, before and after a feeding (YIKES, I know, but that may be the case in the beginning. Don't worry though, because this doesn't last long).

And if you have a very awake baby, you will def. want to try to change him/her before so that he/she may drift off to sleep during a nursing.

Again, all of this is hypothetical, because babies are sure to throw curve balls, just to mix things up. A schedule is best led by baby, in most cases!

That was no help, I'm sure, but maybe you can derive something out of it. And don't worry about worrying about the "small things". Small things seem like huge things in the beginning, and we were all there once!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I agree with pp, you need to find what works best for you and your lo. For us it is changing in the middle (or so) of a feeding. It seems my DD needs to take a break when she's eating and sometimes even a little catnap so I usually change her which wakes her up and reminds her of what she was doing. Then we go back to feeding.

I read in some book to always change the baby first so they will be comfortable while nursing. BOY OH BOY could that have BEEN more wrong for us. After she screamed and writhed hysterically as a newborn during every diaper change, I started feeding one side, change diaper, feed the other side and she fell asleep. Turns out hunger is worse than a wet diaper for our girl.

Quote Originally Posted by sblairc
    I read in some book to always change the baby first so they will be comfortable while nursing. BOY OH BOY could that have BEEN more wrong for us. After she screamed and writhed hysterically as a newborn during every diaper change, I started feeding one side, change diaper, feed the other side and she fell asleep. Turns out hunger is worse than a wet diaper for our girl.
    Same with ours. Actually I've read that it's rare that a baby will actually be bothered greatly by a wet nappy (I think it was in one of my Dr. Sears books).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon