Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I know I have enough, but....

Question I know I have enough, but....

I know I have enough milk. Wet diapers are the same, poopy diapers are the same. My issue is the extremes we're going through right now.

LO is sleeping through the night (well, 7 hours, beginning when ever it is that she falls asleep). So I become engorged and have OALD for the 4 - 5am feeding. I have to pump about 2 min before so that I don't overwhelm her.

But she's gone up to nursing every 2 hours during the day and I don't feel full at all or like I've made any since the last session. I'm sure she is or else the diapers wouldn't be full.

It's her behaviour during the day feedings. She's pulling off a lot, relatching, aggressively rooting, grunting at me when she does it (which is normally saved for when we're moving her when she's comfy ). I've also had to start offering the other side at these feedings. These sessions are starting to last up to an hour! She just doesn't seem to be satisfied.

Any suggestions as to what this new behaviour is and what it means?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: I know I have enough, but....

It sounds to me like your lo is about to hit a growth spurt. She is nursing more to tell your body to make more milk! Some of the rooting and grunting could be just trying to get more milk out. You could try breast compressions to help baby stay on longer and get more out of each session.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLRenee View Post
    It sounds to me like your lo is about to hit a growth spurt. She is nursing more to tell your body to make more milk! Some of the rooting and grunting could be just trying to get more milk out. You could try breast compressions to help baby stay on longer and get more out of each session.
    also sounds to me like a 3 month growth spurt
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Well we nursed like crazy. If I took her off she cried. So I got a big glass of water, some crackers and camped out. I left her on the breast for almost an hour. She's now sleeping. The evenings are tough when she's like this. I'm hoping she's past this growth spurt soon, I don't know how much more we can take of this!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I know I have enough milk. Wet diapers are the same, poopy diapers are the same... I become engorged and have OALD for the 4 - 5am feeding. I have to pump about 2 min before so that I don't overwhelm her.

But she's gone up to nursing every 2 hours during the day and I don't feel full at all or like I've made any since the last session. I'm sure she is or else the diapers wouldn't be full.

It's her behaviour during the day feedings. She's pulling off a lot, relatching, aggressively rooting, grunting at me when she does it (which is normally saved for when we're moving her when she's comfy ). I've also had to start offering the other side at these feedings. These sessions are starting to last up to an hour! She just doesn't seem to be satisfied.

Any suggestions as to what this new behaviour is and what it means?
    When baby is fussy for any reason, it can definitely be frustrating. Hang in there!!

You mentioned plenty of wet/poopy diapers... What color are her poopie diapers? How old is your baby?

Any chance she might be recovering from a cold and have an ear infection? Sometimes lying on a particular side can hurt. Or, she could just have a "favorite" side... one that produces more??

You also mentioned frustration after a few minutes of being on the breast... do you notice her choking or gagging or only at night (4-5am feeding) when you don't first pump? If so, she may be having a hard time with your let-down being too fast or even just needing to burp?? One idea might be to allow your body to adjust more on its own. Instead of pumping, you may find that just spraying into a towel before nursing helpful... You might be able to get by a little easier, too.

I agree with the breast compression suggestion. You may also want to try to keep things as quiet as possible when you're nursing and find a dark room with less distractions.

It also sounds as if supply & demand may have balanced itself out during the daytime which is why you may not be feeling as full... totally normal, too, to feel this way. You're right about your baby's wet/poopie diapers... it sounds like she's getting plenty of breastmilk.

The distractibility may also be coming from teething. Generally, allowing baby to finish one breast on their own is a good idea to follow. She could be trying to increase your supply (for a growth spurt, etc., too.

Also, since breastfeeding is so much more than nutrition, she could be going through a developmental stage (sitting up, beginning to crawl, teething, etc.) and may be wanting to nurse more often and for longer periods for comfort. Hang in there! This, too, shall pass...
    Carla
    LLL Leader

I have this same exact problem!! Growth spurts kick my behind...Good luck, sweetie!

She's 3 months.

She's been healthy as a horse. No colds or anything. We have a doctor's appointment today so I'll mention the fussiness to him.

She's been peeing and pooping as usual. There has been a slight change in that her poop has taken on an orange tinge. Not majorly, but its there. I'll mention that to the doctor as well.

I do have OALD and last night was the first night I didn't have to pump before feeding her. So I think things are starting to work it's way out.

The nursing / pulling off / rooting happens during the day. I dunno - it's weird. Maybe it's because it's not as ample as it is at night?
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    She's 3 months.

She's been healthy as a horse. No colds or anything. We have a doctor's appointment today so I'll mention the fussiness to him.

I do have OALD and last night was the first night I didn't have to pump before feeding her. So I think things are starting to work it's way out.

The nursing / pulling off / rooting happens during the day.
    Hmm... It sounds like it could be a combo of things... OALD, growth spurt, teething and distractibility.

Some things you may want to try...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla View Post
    One idea might be to allow your body to adjust more on its own. Instead of pumping, you may find that just spraying into a towel before nursing helpful [and allow your body to regulate itself]... You might be able to get by a little easier, too [by getting some extra sleep]

... You may also want to try to keep things as quiet as possible when you're nursing and find a dark room with less distractions.

The distractibility may also be coming from teething. Generally, allowing baby to finish one breast on their own is a good idea to follow. She could be trying to increase your supply [during the daytime] (for a growth spurt, etc., too. [... keep nursing on-cue and things should settle down in the next few days...]
    It's great to check with your ped to rule out anything, too. Let us know after your visit today! Hang in there, too. Things really do tend to get "easier" by the 3 month point.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLCarla; January 6th, 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add a little...
    Carla
    LLL Leader

So LO is doing GREAT as per the doctor. She's 15.21 lbs at 13 weeks. Big girl! He said she's very healthy, developing nicely even though she arrived early and that we're doing great! I mentioned the fussiness and he said that due to her size and the timing, it's probably due to a growth spurt and should pass soon.

WooHoo! Sometimes you just need someone else to tell you that you're doing well, KWIM?
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

Woo-Hoo!! Awesome! Yes, that's the wonderful thing about these boards... mother-to-mother support is great.
    Carla
    LLL Leader