Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should I give up and supplement???

Default Re: should I give up and supplement???

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gabesmommy View Post
    Big and. You have made it much further than many! I can hear your doubt and frustration and wish I could ease that for you!

It sounds as though she's content though. Maybe I missed it and if I did, I apologize, but I don't recall you saying she is fussy during the day when she is eating less? Think about it this way- she is most likely using the time that youa re away from her as her longer breaks from nursing (similiar to some who sleep longer at night). So if she were to start STTN, she would be going 4-5 hours without nursing. I am saying this to hopefully help ease your worries. She will not let herself starve. She is just using your time together as best she can by getting her nursing sessions in during those times. My son did the same thing.

As for pumping, I was estatic with 10oz of output. I would continue witht he oatmeal and although I don't know about Mother's Milk Plus, I have heard good things. Also, and this is very important... when you are pumping you need a good couple minute buffer to get mentally prepared and de-stressed. Look at some pictures of your lo, stand up and sway as if you were holding her, something that brings you to that place of peace, then start your pumping session.

I really believe you can do this! Your doctor and dh believe you can do this! Now you need to believe in yourself! We are here for you!
    Thank you Kelly for your support as well! And for the kind words. I don't look at myself as a hero, but as one exhausted mother who can't even provide what she has to to her baby, and I know I'b being to hursh and unfair to myself and maybe even ungrateful for what I've already given to my DD! I know I should probably change my atittude soon!

You are right, she is not fussy but a very happy baby, she sleeps well (she's not a good sleeper to begin with, so she sleeps well for her:-), wakes up happy, smiles a lot and only gets fussy late in the evening, but this is just her thing, she's been like this for some time (she's a sleep fighter, especially night sleep!). She nurses very often and most definitely tries to make up for the day at nigth, wich is killing me, but also comforts me (what a controversy:-))).

My doc told me to stop by and weigh her if this will make me feel better. I think I'll do that on saturday (he also told me not to come too often, because he promised they'll make fun on me as being paranoid:-)))).

Thank you again! And I'll try to calm down
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*confused View Post
    You ask if I still feel like she's not getting enough? Some days I do, some I don't. When I look at BFed babies growth chart, I start to worry, because she seems to be on a smaller side, she's like in 10-20 percentile by weight and 50-75 by height!
    I don't know if this will ease your fears, but that is a perfectly normal size! As long as baby is on the chart they are within normal range. 10-20 percentile means she is larger than 10-20 percent of babies her age. Just because a baby is on the low end of the scale doesn't mean there is any danger, it just means they are on the low end of perfectly normal. The only time you really need to worry is when baby drops well below the normal range or sometimes when their percentile drops significantly for several visits in a row (though often this is temporary and due to baby starting to crawl, walk, teeth or getting ill).

My daughter has been 3-5%ile in weight and height ever since she was born. I have never been concerned and neither has her doctor because she has remained consistently at the same percentile the entire time. She's just small. Some people are smaller and it's totally normal.

It's also normal for the poopy diapers to be inconsistent. My daughter would poop every day for a week and then go an entire week without pooping once. Then we'd get a huge blowout (yuck!).

I can tell you are really concerned about this, but I really think you are doing a great job! Just keep doing what you are doing and I hope that with more time and experience you'll realize that things are going well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She nurses very often and most definitely tries to make up for the day at nigth, wich is killing me, but also comforts me (what a controversy:-))).
    I totally relate. My daughter did the exact same thing when I went back to work. I quickly realized that I needed that time to reconnect with her just as much as she needed it. Are you able to sleep while you nurse at all? Sorry, maybe you answered that question already and I missed it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I totally relate. My daughter did the exact same thing when I went back to work. I quickly realized that I needed that time to reconnect with her just as much as she needed it. Are you able to sleep while you nurse at all? Sorry, maybe you answered that question already and I missed it.
    I would say no, I can't sleep while nursing, but I have to be honest:-)))
    Some times I don't remember things, but I remember, for example, that I started nursing, and then...a black hole:-) But just by remembering the start and having my nursing bra stil open I can tell that I did nurse. It's horrible, I know, that I don't remember things in the morning or even an hour later. Sometimes i try to lie down as comfortble as i can to slee while nursing, but can't. So my answer would be yes, I can, but only when I'm exhausted enough to just disconnect...I can't fall asleep when I'm trying. And also, my DD's nursing habits don't allow me to most of the times: she likes to latck-suck-unlatch-... and on adn on, but at the moment when she' off, she turns away, cries (a little), like i took it away from her, then she turns back, latches...During the day I laugh, its kind of funny, but at night...No treally:-)

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I don't know if this will ease your fears, but that is a perfectly normal size! As long as baby is on the chart they are within normal range. 10-20 percentile means she is larger than 10-20 percent of babies her age. Just because a baby is on the low end of the scale doesn't mean there is any danger, it just means they are on the low end of perfectly normal. The only time you really need to worry is when baby drops well below the normal range or sometimes when their percentile drops significantly for several visits in a row (though often this is temporary and due to baby starting to crawl, walk, teeth or getting ill).

My daughter has been 3-5%ile in weight and height ever since she was born. I have never been concerned and neither has her doctor because she has remained consistently at the same percentile the entire time. She's just small. Some people are smaller and it's totally normal.

It's also normal for the poopy diapers to be inconsistent. My daughter would poop every day for a week and then go an entire week without pooping once. Then we'd get a huge blowout (yuck!).

I can tell you are really concerned about this, but I really think you are doing a great job! Just keep doing what you are doing and I hope that with more time and experience you'll realize that things are going well.
    You see, I guess i will never learn. How much more experience do I need: I have a daughter who's going to be 16 (years old!) in april, also, I have a niece (5 y.o) and nephew (6 months, its like my sis and I planned to have babies together, LOL), and I should know better. But none of them was BFed for more than 1-1.5 month. That's why I don't know. My daughter was born in Ukraine, little did I know then so I didn't worry:-). Partially, that's the reason why I constantly doubt myself, because I couldn't do it first time around, I though I didn't have milk! So speaking about experience...

What you say sounds just like something my DH keeps saying all the time and ...it makes sence (I mean about beaing on the lower end of perfectly normal). And I don't want her to be chubby or big, no way, all my life I've been struggling with extra pounds (I'm 8 now, but was 4 before her, by dieting like crazy! so dreaming now to go back to at least 6:-)), even though I was very petit as a baby, as a metter of fact, my mom says that my LO is a copy of me, her face and "smallness" (yeah, I was small, petit once:-))).

I just want her to be healthy. That's why I'm struggling and still BFing.

She was born 7lbs 11 oz, not small! At 20"! Then at 1 she was 10lbs, at 2mo 11 days-12lbs. And then she only gained 13oz in 6 weeks, whats what made me worry. But there's always a good side: at least she's not loosing:-)

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Some times I don't remember things, but I remember, for example, that I started nursing, and then...a black hole:-) But just by remembering the start and having my nursing bra stil open I can tell that I did nurse. It's horrible, I know, that I don't remember things in the morning or even an hour later.
    That's not horrible at all, it's exactly how I started doing it! I kept trying to stay awake to nurse and then after a while I started waking up like an hour later with her either still latched on, but not sucking or she'd be sleeping peacefully with drips of milk in the corner of her mouth. I think that's also something that comes with time, getting comfortable with sleeping while you nurse.

I think you're doing great. It's understandable to doubt yourself, especially if you've had a difficult experience nursing before. I think that's one reason a lot of women stop breastfeeding- they just aren't sure they are doing it right. But it sounds like you're doing great. Just try to trust your body and trust your baby to know what to do. And when you get insecure or need advice, come here!
    --Anonymous

And when you get insecure or need advice, come here![/QUOTE]

And that's exactly what I do, it even states on the bottom of my "signature"

Thanks a lot!!!

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work