Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I give up and supplement???

Default should I give up and supplement???

Hi all and Happy New Year!
    I have to apologize right away for this one, cause it will be long. So thanks to every one of you who'll be patient enough and read it!

My DD is 4 months old and so far she's been exclusively BFed, to me, because its a struggle since day 1! Why? Probably, mostly because I alway worry, even if there's no reason... I always think I don't have enough milk, but so far no formula. I work full time and pump at work, 3-4 times a day, on good days I bring home 10-12oz, but i do have bad days and often, then 10 oz is a dream. She doesn't eat a lot, which is also a consern for me, especially after our 4 months doc's appointment, when I learned that she only gained 13oz in 6 weeks. I was so upset, by our doc said its ok and that not every baby is supposed to be chubby. He said that she could've done better, but this is not bad, she's not skinny (and its true, she's not), but petite and proportional. I posted a thread earlier about that concern of mine, I was told by many of you that if my doc's not worried, I shouldn't. Yeah, maybe... I was hoping to make up for her during that long break, I was home since Dec. 19 till yesterday, and now my mom (she's watching my LO this week) tells me that I only did worse, because my DD is on strike today, she refuses to eat from the bottle and only ate twice 2oz each time since 4:30am (when I nirsed her before getting up) and its after 1pm already! Its way too little for her, especially when she gains so little! I'm torn, don't know what to do any more. My mom tells me I should start supplementing, but my DH is saying that I'm doing the right thing by BFing exclusively. What should I do?
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Default Re: should I give up and supplement???

Listen to your DH, and to your doctor!! You are doing just fine, esp if your DD is, as your doc said, proportional! One day of not eating a lot certainly isn't going to do your baby harm, IMHO. You are doing a great job--try not to worry!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Don't give in. Not to pressure from a daycare provider or to self doubt. You are DOING GREAT! Your doctor isn't worried, your child is healthy AND she IS GROWING. You did the right thing by trying to tank her up over the break. I would also suggest that what you will find is that she may want to nurse all night for a few days to make up for not nursing during the day. She may correct that in a few days when she is comfortable with your mother again. But plenty of babies night nurse to make up for being away from their mothers all day. Stay focused Mama. You can do this.

Way too lazy for formula

s to you. I hear how much you love your LO and want to do the right thing for her. It is hard when you hear conflicting information from those closest to you as well.
    She doesn't eat a lot,
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? How many times does she nurse in 24 hours? How are her wet and poopy diapers? Does she nurse very often at night? Some babies eat more when mom is home and through the night and take less during the day with their care provider. Do you feel this is what is happening or something else?
    I was so upset, by our doc said its ok and that not every baby is supposed to be chubby. He said that she could've done better, but this is not bad, she's not skinny (and its true, she's not), but petite and proportional. I posted a thread earlier about that concern of mine, I was told by many of you that if my doc's not worried, I shouldn't. Yeah, maybe...
    It sounds like your mommy sense is telling you to look into this further. Here are some links you may find helpful.
    kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    If you do find your supply is low or you feel you need to supplement for a time, it does not mean that you are giving up. Also, supplementing can be done in a way that supports breastfeeding while supply is worked on with the goal of resuming EBFing.
    my DD is on strike today, she refuses to eat from the bottle and only ate twice 2oz each time since 4:30am
    Do you think she is refusing the bottle because she was used to nursing over the long break and is letting her preference be known? Is she coming down with a cold?
    You are doing a great job. You are doing your best to determine and meet your LOs needs. Your LO is lucky to have such a loving, caring mama!
    2001 2004 2008

I will try to answer all the questions and sorry for doing it so late, as I don't have time when I'm home at all. I guess this answers one question: if she nurses often when I'm home. Yes, I usually try to nurse her every 1.5-2 hours, because I always feel like she either doesn't eat a lot at once or I don't have more. I can't stop doubting myself no matter what. She nurses often at night as well, even when I'm home and she's not doing it to make up for when I'm not around, I guess its just the way she eats: often but not a lot. Well, what I mean by not a lot? I always thought that by 4 mo babies can be efficient enough to not to nurse every 1.5-2 hours, but go for 3.5-4. I was wrong, obviously. Also, when I'm at work, I pump 70-80 mL (less then 3 oz) in avarage in the morning, and then 50mL every time after that (I try to pump every 2 hours, total-4 times). So, thats why I think she doesn't eat a lot, otherwise I'd probably produce more??? Or is it my fault and I'm starviing her??? I had few weeks when I would pump 4 oz at once in the morning! I was so happy, but then it stopped and I'm back to almost 3! I thouhgt that long break will help to build my supply and thats why nursed exclusively. Supply is the same and now my LO has to get used to a bottle all over again.

So, at night she nurses a lot, some nights she wants to nurse every hour! And I work (don't know how though)! I'm exhausted, honestly, even when she's up every 2 hours (those are just bad nights, not horrible).
    Yesterday she ate 3 times, 2 oz each time, but I blame it on that long break thaat she was BF only. Today so far she only ate once, her 2oz. And before that she nursed at 5:30 and went 4 hours without eating. She did that before, so I think she'll be fine soon enough and will eat better, also I was debating if I should give her a bottle on the weekend as well, not to stress her out every monday? I 'm afraid that if I do, my supply will be even worse. I did try More Milk Plus, ate oatmeal every morning, sring a lot... No result. Just hope I can make it at least till she's 6. And now, on top of everything, I have a cold, so I don't know how I do it.

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

First, more s. You are doing a great job, mama! It is not easy to work and pump and BF and you are doing it!
    You know your baby best and you can read her signs. Did you have a chance to take a look at those links? Based on that information do you (not others) still feel like she is not getting enough? Her diaper output is the most telling sign.

Some additional things to consider...

Every mom has a different storage capacity (does not depend on the size of the breast) and their babies usually adapt to that. For example, if a mom has a small storage capacity, her baby may each smaller meals more often. A mom with a larger capacity may find that her baby eats less often, but is taking more in per feed. What matters is the overall intake for the day.

You are doing lots of good things to boost your supply. Have you had your thyroid tested? An underactive thyroid can affect milk supply.

You are working very hard and doing a wonderful job caring for your LO.
    2001 2004 2008

Big and to you. You have made it much further than many! I can hear your doubt and frustration and wish I could ease that for you!

It sounds as though she's content though. Maybe I missed it and if I did, I apologize, but I don't recall you saying she is fussy during the day when she is eating less? Think about it this way- she is most likely using the time that youa re away from her as her longer breaks from nursing (similiar to some who sleep longer at night). So if she were to start STTN, she would be going 4-5 hours without nursing. I am saying this to hopefully help ease your worries. She will not let herself starve. She is just using your time together as best she can by getting her nursing sessions in during those times. My son did the same thing.

As for pumping, I was estatic with 10oz of output. I would continue witht he oatmeal and although I don't know about Mother's Milk Plus, I have heard good things. Also, and this is very important... when you are pumping you need a good couple minute buffer to get mentally prepared and de-stressed. Look at some pictures of your lo, stand up and sway as if you were holding her, something that brings you to that place of peace, then start your pumping session.

I really believe you can do this! Your doctor and dh believe you can do this! Now you need to believe in yourself! We are here for you!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

[QUOTE=@llli*umbribyz;640496]First, more s. You are doing a great job, mama! It is not easy to work and pump and BF and you are doing it!
    You know your baby best and you can read her signs. Did you have a chance to take a look at those links? Based on that information do you (not others) still feel like she is not getting enough? Her diaper output is the most telling sign.

Every mom has a different storage capacity (does not depend on the size of the breast) and their babies usually adapt to that. For example, if a mom has a small storage capacity, her baby may each smaller meals more often. A mom with a larger capacity may find that her baby eats less often, but is taking more in per feed. What matters is the overall intake for the day.

You are doing lots of good things to boost your supply. Have you had your thyroid tested? An underactive thyroid can affect milk supply.

AS for thyroid... I have a thyroid desease, its true, hypo function. When I was pregnant, my doc increased the strength from 112 mcg to 200mcg, wich is A LOT! But my the time my DD was 3-3.5mo, he had me back on 112 mcg, I had it checked twice during those 3 months because i felt like I was overmedicated. Maybe it was a good thing, because my supply was better (although it;s very bad, so i had no choice)...
    Last edited by @llli*confused; January 6th, 2009 at 11:24 AM.

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

I am very critical of myself as well. I guess the only real indicator is output. Messy diapers is a good way to know if she's getting enough. And knowing how to tell if she's dehydrated is important, too. And if she was, I'm sure your doctor would've let you know. I think you're amazing for going to work and bfing. Any woman that can do that really is an inspiration to me!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*umbribyz View Post
    First, more s. You are doing a great job, mama! It is not easy to work and pump and BF and you are doing it!

You are working very hard and doing a wonderful job caring for your LO.
    I messed up with this reply, sorry, I just typed a really long one and lost it. I want to thank you for your support, means a lot to me.
    I liked the storage capacity thing, if this is the case, i have a small capacity.

I did read those links, a while ago though, and not once, as I said before, I have been doubting myself ever since my DD was born. Her diapers are ok, I guess, we have like 4-5 really wet ones, also, dirty ones are not consistant: some days (like on that break, for 12 days in a raw) she had 2-3 a day, and some days-none, she can go 2-3 days without a dirty one sometimes.

You ask if I still feel like she's not getting enough? Some days I do, some I don't. When I look at BFed babies growth chart, I start to worry, because she seems to be on a smaller side, she's like in 10-20 percentile by weight and 50-75 by height! She was born 7lb11oz, at 1 she was 10lbs, at 2 and 11 days-12lbs, and at 4 (4 days shy)-12lbs13oz! But when she gets a bottle, usually there are plenty of milk (more than she eats in 95% cases), so she has as much as hse wants. So I don't know anymore.

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work